cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTLWORLD e/mail hacked AGAIN !!

stuxter
On our wavelength

My email has been hacked again

The hacker sent me an email from my own email address, again correctly quoting my email password.

This is getting ridicullous. You said you had resolved the issue last time when all that was dine was you changed the password. This in my opinion is not resolving the issue.

To top it off, I am unable to change the password on line, so have to hold to get through to tech support.

I feel that this issue with my email security is not being dealt with. I was told if it happens again, to phone up and change the password.

I want to know exactly how someone is obtain my password.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a common scam/scare technique. The chances that the scammer actually knows your password is minimal.

When you look at the source information of the email you are likely to find that it hasn't come from your email address at all.   The field that suggests it has is easy to spoof.

The more worrying thing about your post is the statement that you can't change the password without contacting VM.

What is stopping you from doing so via your My Virgin Media account under Update settings then Account details?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is a common scam/scare technique. The chances that the scammer actually knows your password is minimal.

When you look at the source information of the email you are likely to find that it hasn't come from your email address at all.   The field that suggests it has is easy to spoof.

The more worrying thing about your post is the statement that you can't change the password without contacting VM.

What is stopping you from doing so via your My Virgin Media account under Update settings then Account details?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stuxter
On our wavelength

When logging in, I selected forgotten password.

Entered DOB and answered security question but could no proceed any further.

I will note your advice on where else to change it.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi stuxter,

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you have received this email, I appreciate this must be concerning. 

Have you been able to update your password to something only you would know? If not, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat

stuxter
On our wavelength

I have updated it but would like to know how they are able to provide my password. Twice.

Also has this particular scam been reported by any other customers?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for letting us know you have been able to update your password. 

Although we are unable to confirm how they got access to your email, we do offer further support for issues such as this here.

Please let us know if we can assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat

stuxter
On our wavelength

Im not really umpressed wiith the way this is being dealt with.

I was told by tech support i would just have to keep changing my password everytime i get hacked or i could change me email address.

Do you consider this to be a successful resolution?

What do you intend to do ro keep my email address safe moving forward?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Do yourself a favour and get a new email account away from Virgin. You'll have to do it one day, so it might as well be now. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your reply @stuxter, sorry to see the resolution offered by the team isn't a satisfactory one.

I think it would be best for us to have a look at this further for you so we can offer a resolution you are happy with to ensure your details are as secure as possible.

To do this, I am going to send you a PM.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules