cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL bouncing emails back to sender

jellielli
On our wavelength

I am administrator fir a local u3a. We send out bulk emails to our members. 
Two members have email accounts with ntlworld.com. The emails which I send to them bounce back with the following message:

This is an email abuse report for an email message with the message-id of 010b017ba2b1b903-f93bb76f-e3e1-4774-8bef-c63c1a66cfbb-000000 received from IP address 46.32.240.39 on Wed, 01 Sep 21 18:49:21 UTC.
This is the list of the complaint emails:

I have removed their email address for protection. I have asked both members to add my admin email address to their Contacts so the emails shouldn’t bounce back. 
Any ideas please?
24 REPLIES 24

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As a U3A local administrator (University of The Third Age) you send out bulk emails at intervals.

Your VM posting history suggests that you are a current VM customer – yes/no?

To help the Forum Team when they pick this up, can you clarify the following -

1. How many U3A emails do you send at a time - and frequency - weekly/monthly etc?

2. Do you send these using your Home VM email address via Webmail, or, an email client such as Outlook via VM?

3. If not as in 2, which email service do you use? The IP address quoted is for a hosting service in Leeds.

4. Two emails to ntlworld.com addresses are bounced back. Do you have any other addressees with virginmedia.com, blueyonder.co.uk, or virgin.net addresses? If so, do these get through?

5. How do you maintain your circulation list? Wait for the addressee or a relative to tell you to remove them – or what?

6. Are you aware that individual recipients could accidentally or deliberately reject all incoming emails from a given address? For example by setting up a “Reject with reason” filter in VM Webmail?

Wait here for the Forum Team to respond.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jellielli, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with sending emails to 2 NTL addresses. 

The questions asked above by BillC45 will go a long way in helping us to help you. I would also like to add, the 2 recipients - please check with them to ensure they haven't marked previous mails as spam and that they have added you as a safe sender. 

Please reply to them so we can have the additional information. Once we have that we will be in a better position on how to advise you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jellielli
On our wavelength

Thank you for your help. I am a ntlworld customer too. 
Below are the answers to the best of my ability:

1) we send around 500 webmails roughly twice a month. 
2) they go out via webmail from our website

3) presumably I’ve answered this in 2)

4) there is one address with btinternet that bounces back; but I believe it’s because he hasn’t listed us as safe senders

5) we have a membership Secretary who is informed of any changes to data & she corrects the database. 
6) yes I am aware of this but the 2 ntl members assure me they have set a rule to allow webmails from my admin address to be forwarded to their inbox. 

I hope this helps. 

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you get them to remove the rules on auto forwarding and re-add it for us?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jellielli
On our wavelength

What difference would that make?

Thanks for coming back to us @jellielli. This would let us know if the current auto forward rules are causing the issues.

Regards,

Steven_L

I understand our u3a member has now followed your instructions. 
I have just sent her a webmail from admin & it has bounced back with the following reason: 

jellielli_0-1630942261649.jpeg

The email address has been removed for privacy purposes. 
Thanks

Jill

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jellielli

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to contact the internet security team to check on this, once I receive a response i'll be sure to let you know.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ABealing
On our wavelength

Was there any update on this?  I am a u3a member with a similar issue.  Emails are sent out using the u3a Beacon system which I believe uses a service called SendGrid to deliver the messages.  I receive some of these message correctly, some to to Spam but some never arrive.  I use a domain name with a forwarding service pointed to my ntlworld mail box.  I have set up a duplicate forwarder to my gmail box and have now received a "Beacon" message to the gmail account but not ntlword/Virgin.  Why are some being blocked and can you correct this issue please as I am missing important messages.