cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL E-mail

dalelongyear
Joining in

Hi,

I can't get into my e-mail on my lap top, it's stuck on a page with the heading Bad Request, have done a virus scan and changed password but still no joy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dalelongyear wrote:I can't get into my e-mail on my lap top, it's stuck on a page with the heading Bad Request,

Based on that error, it would seem that you are trying to access your Virgin Media email account via their Webmail service on the VM website rather than via an email app.

If so, the first thing to try is clearing the cache  and cookies in your browser.

To get instructions on how to do that just do an online search for "How to delete cache and cookies in ......." and add the name of the browser you are using, for example Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc. The principle is the same for all browsers but each has a slightly different way to get there.

Strictly speaking you only need to clear the cookies relating to VM web pages but some browsers don't make it easy to delete specific cookies.

Once you have done that close down the browser completely and then re-open it.

Also, if you still get the error after doing that deletion it would be worth deleting a second time. With some browsers it sometimes seems to take 2 or 3 deletions to fully clear the data stored in the browser.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dalelongyear wrote:I can't get into my e-mail on my lap top, it's stuck on a page with the heading Bad Request,

Based on that error, it would seem that you are trying to access your Virgin Media email account via their Webmail service on the VM website rather than via an email app.

If so, the first thing to try is clearing the cache  and cookies in your browser.

To get instructions on how to do that just do an online search for "How to delete cache and cookies in ......." and add the name of the browser you are using, for example Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc. The principle is the same for all browsers but each has a slightly different way to get there.

Strictly speaking you only need to clear the cookies relating to VM web pages but some browsers don't make it easy to delete specific cookies.

Once you have done that close down the browser completely and then re-open it.

Also, if you still get the error after doing that deletion it would be worth deleting a second time. With some browsers it sometimes seems to take 2 or 3 deletions to fully clear the data stored in the browser.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tried that but still no joy, but thanks for the heads up,

this is the message the page shows

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Can access e-mail on my mobile, but not my laptop, when I use the link I have saved in my favourites or even the e-mail tab on the my virgin page this is the message I get and I can't get rid of it

Ignore last message got it working now, Thanks Coenoby clearing the cache worked had to do it a couple of times.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update @dalelongyear.

I am glad it is working for you, if you ever need anything else you know where we are.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide