Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Nicola_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: My virgin email was hacked... what do I do next?

Thanks coenoby and Howard, we will be happy to take a look.

Hello sacmac

Apologies as it looks like there may have been an issue changing the password that was resolved by our IT team, please would you bring us up to date.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola
access still locked as I havent tried to change pw yet... was advised to run malwarebytes which i did. Also ran regular norton full system scans. My concern was not to try to change anything until I have confidence my pc is malware and virus free which i believe is and in fact has been throughout this period of turbulence.
Would you advise me to change pw now, if I can?
Thank you
sacmac

0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola, 

I have tried to change my password but cannot do so because the reset password process requires details that are on bills that were sent to my VM email that is now locked.  Unfortunately (as it turns out), I requested paperless bills some years ago and so I have none of the details required to reset my password other than my account number.  I attach a screenshot of the required information which I am unable to retrieve, even from the few stored emails from VM on my pc and the few account details that I have filed away in paper version.

I'd be very grateful for continued help from the VM community team to resolve this frustrating situation. 

many thanks indeed, sacmac

sacmac

2017-11-22_18-37-19.png

0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola Please can you review my latest posts on this? I am not sure if I replied direct to you or posted separately. your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, sacmac
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 30
Flag for a moderator

All of tis information is available to you if you long into My Virginmedia using your existing e-mail address and password which you do know. And if you can log into My Virginmedia yu should be able to change the password without using the forgotten password system simply by following the guidance here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for this. Unfortunately I really cannot login with existing password and neither can VM. please refer to first post on the subject.
sincerely appreciate alk your help on this
sacmac
0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Please can I quickly clarify the situation, sorry for adding more blurb...
the issue has not been solved and my password has not been changed, at least not by me. I am unable to login to the welcome login screen for My VM, this is what I originally meant by being "locked out". Apologies if it wasn't clear that I was locked out of my entire account, not just email. I cannot be precise but this situation emerged in early November after numerous unsuccessful calls to resolve the hacked email issue by calling 150.
I also received this text message on 6 Nov apparently from VM and apparently as a result of my lengthy but unfruitful calls to resolve it. (This is an exact copy of the text: the wording did not
fill me with confidence because of the errors: I actually assumed it was more hacking. The link did not work from my phone which heightened my concerns and then I was unable to login in anyway)
"We've been alerted your Virgin Media Mail account may have been used to send Spam. Your accounts been locked, to reset your password go to virginmedia.com/lock." received 6 November
I was unable to reset the password then and I am still unable to do so now.
I think, probably, if this cannot be resolved then the next step will have to be to cancel my account with VM. This would be a great pity after many years of loyal and trouble-free custom but this security situation is not tolerable as it stands.
Sincere thanks again for help so far and any further help you can continue to offer me and apologies for taking more of your time with this painfully aggravating issue but there do not appear to be any other avenues open to get this sorted.
sacmac
0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Another update log: 24/11/2017

I called VM...again and they were unable to resolve it, again. 

I mentioned at the start of the conversation that they would very likely not be able to change my password and I would be surprised if they could.  It turn out that they were indeed unable to change my pw.  Apparently an Error Code PW/CLDAP remains despite my original ticket (raised 22 October) being "resolved" and closed by the IT team on 30 October.  A Block error code is occurring which they have been unable to resolve.  It's odd that I haven't been informed. There was nothing on the VM letter of 6 November about continued issues.

Following my call today they have raised another ticket for the IT team.  They have said the IT team will call me back, which in my experience will not happen.  I am told they will take 5 days to resolve this issue but cannot say when it will be resolved exactly. 

I regret that I have little confidence remaining in this process and sadly expect no resolution and certainly no call back or response from the VM technical team who have so far been unable to solve this.   I expect I will have to call back again in a week or so and go through exactly the same conversation with a high probability of the same result as the previous 4 or 5 occasions. 

I have raised a complaint, which they told me will solve nothing because "they know what the problem is" (which is obviously why they have solved it already!). 

Any calming words of wisdom would be welcome.

many thanks!

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 19 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Checking I can see that this issue is still sat with IT (ref. P008357462).

We'll continue to monitor and provide an update as soon as we have any news.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 30
Flag for a moderator

thanks. this issue has not been resolved. i have heard nothing, as expected.
thanks for keeling an eye on it
0 Kudos