Menu
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: My virgin email was hacked... what do I do next?

Poo8357462 opened 24 November after Poo8286537 raised on 22 Oct and closed in error on 30 Oct.
No response or news from VM.
thanks to Forum for continued help.
0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Update 04/12/2017: issue not resolved and no communication from VM, as promised. 

Poo8357462 opened 24 November after Poo8286537 raised on 22 Oct and closed in error on 30 Oct.
A call back was absolutely assured by VM "in a week" and, as expected, ten days later there has been no response or any communication from VM whatsoever regarding this issue. I am still locked out of my VM account with no resolution or indication of what is happening to permit account access. 
Many thanks to the Forum for any continued help and advice on what I need to do to regain access to my account.  

0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Log / VM Update 04/12/2017

Called VM 4.30pm.  

Operative unable to solve issue, as expected.

Escalated to Swansea manager Claire Fletcher who will call me on Thursday 6pm with an update.  She was helpful and apologised for lack of call backs and lack of progress with this issue and understood the problems regarding the blocked VM account issue, reading back through the notes.  In short, she was able to assure me that she would chase this up purposefully by Thursday, which is good news. Call duration 43 mins. 

Looking forward to Thursday :-)

0 Kudos
sacmac
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: My virgin email was hacked... what do I do next? SOLVED !

Log VM update 07/12/2017

I am delighted to say that Claire Fletcher, VM Swansea has sorted the problem with IT as she promised.  I also got a call back at 6.30pm.

It's been a little too long coming but I am so pleased that VM customer service has finally come true and sorted the account problem.

They have confirmed it was an error in their second IT ticket solution that caused my account to be locked.  They also confirm that there is no security issue remaining with my account (which I am most relieved about) and they have offered a month's credit on my account which is an appropriate and welcome gesture. 

Thank you to everyone on VM community who has helped, much appreciated guidance on this situation. 

Case closed!

soong-
Joining in
Message 25 of 30
Flag for a moderator

@coenobywrote:

Hi sacmac

Gmail is one option. Google provide the added security of 2 step verification which means that your Gmail account is protected by password and phone. There are others, Microsoft's Outlook.com for example, it's your choice.

I am surprised that you are even considering using VM email after your experience. 'Putting your head back in the lion's mouth' comes to mindSmiley Happy

I am sure that the forum team will pick up on this in the next day or two. If you do have to resort to the 150 call centre again I would suggest calling Monday to Friday during office hours since you will be more likely to get the UK call centre.

I hope that you get your problem resolved.

coenoby

Any free email account even gmail and outlook can be compromised or deleted no matter what the security as they have no contract to keep your account open.  I remember my hotmail account suddenly having a change of T&Cs and they deleted all emails and closed the account if you did not log in for 30 days and you then had to recover your empty account.  The only and safest way is to pay for an email service. Even though I pay VM I still had my virgin.net accounts deleted and some virginmedia.com ones as well without being warned first.

0 Kudos
soong-
Joining in
Message 26 of 30
Flag for a moderator

And 

@Tudorwrote:

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

And if you ask those who don't about Hex they wouldn't know FA.

0 Kudos
graham24770986
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 30
Flag for a moderator

My email appears to have been hacked too and I'm now being held to ransom. I've tried to find a Virgin email address to forward the following onto them from the blackmailer, but can't find one anywhere. I've changed my PW, but my email address is important to me and don't wish to change it if possible. Any help would be gratefully appreciated, as it does appear that Virgin are at fault here. This is the ransom note;-

"I'm Stern. Isn't 'stew1954' is your passwordSmiley Happy I recorded your webcam showing your immoral sexual doings and clip you watched using my backdoor which was present on the website you visited to see the xxx video. You really are appearing eye-catching in the video.

We have each one of your mail and additionally FB connections since my malware provided me access to all of them.

I'll email your recording to your friends unless you send me 2000 USD via B I T C O I N S within the next 24 hours to the below address:
Bit coin Address: 1Fs3fJPurtTCfWPdbb768ssA3FpMQVv8DS
Please Copy & Paste the address because it is CasE SenSiTiVe.

Once money is received by me, I will destroy your recording and every bit of details I have about you. If I don't receive the money, I will email your video to every contact of yours. Just think regarding the shame you feel. and likewise should you be in an affair, exactly how it can affect?

Want proof? Reply with "Yes", & I will email your recording to 8 of your contactsright now.

Warm regards - Stern"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 30
Flag for a moderator

This is a scam and nothing to do with hacking.You know what to do with scam mail - don't you? Just delete it.

If you want to take absolute precautions then follow this guidance. You won't lose your current VM address, you'll just make it more secure.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
graham24770986
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard - it's just that they have the password, as it was correct at the time of arriving to me, so that's what got me on edge and so I've been changing passwords all over the place. I'll try securing my email address as advised.

I've been using computers now for about twenty years and don't use them for anything other than my research and this is the first time anything like this has ever come up and it got me really worried. I'm backing up 20yrs of work in the hope nothing happens.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 30
Flag for a moderator

It is precisely designed to get you worried. They may have got your password from any number of sites that have been hacked if you have by hazard been using the same password for different purposes. On the other hand this is just an empty threat. They have nothing. Best advice is to keep a singular password for e-mail and carry on securing your connections to other sites. A lot of work but worth it.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.