cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My e mail trash box

RS1357
Joining in

My trash box sems to hold around 7 days worth of mail or around 180 messages and then empties. I have been unable to find any messages that have disappeared, I have checked settings but have found nothing about how to ensure that trash messages remain in the trash box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

The reason you can't find anything in settings is because there isn't anything. VM mail auto-empties your trash folder every seven days or so and the emails are then gone forever. The clue is in  the word "trash".  VM think, not unreasonably, that if you put something in trash then you want it thrown away sooner or later. That is the normal definition of trash. Also VM don't have unlimited storage available and so trash gets treated as trash.  If you want to keep stuff use the archive function or set up another folder while you decide what to do. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

The reason you can't find anything in settings is because there isn't anything. VM mail auto-empties your trash folder every seven days or so and the emails are then gone forever. The clue is in  the word "trash".  VM think, not unreasonably, that if you put something in trash then you want it thrown away sooner or later. That is the normal definition of trash. Also VM don't have unlimited storage available and so trash gets treated as trash.  If you want to keep stuff use the archive function or set up another folder while you decide what to do. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks a lot for this. Still waiting for VM to respond after a week. If it is that simple then they could have told me. Anyway very helpful. I have only noticed this over the last few months. I thought in the past the Trash box kept stuff forever, or tipped it into archive. I have now set up a couple of new folders for stuff to keep which gets it out the inbox. Not sure how I can give you more than one thumbs up but you can have 10 out of 10 from me.

For Information:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-delete-my-emails

Under How to permanently delete a message from the Trash folder

Permanently deleted messages can’t be recovered. Before permanently deleting a message, make sure you no longer need it.

1. Open the Trash folder in the folder tree
  2. Select the message you want to permanently delete
  3. Click the Delete icon in the toolbar or choose Delete in the Detail view
  4. The message will be permanently deleted

Note: Any messages in the Trash folder that are over 7 days old are automatically deleted.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In webmail selected email(s) can be archived by pressing A key; result, email is filed by Year under Archive folder, i.e. message received in 2018 is archived to 2018 folder. To archive all emails in a folder that are older that 90 days select (located next to folder name),  Archive, Archive.

NB webmail's search function is poor because it lack the ability to traverse folders, i.e. starting a search from Archive folder will not find matching emails in subfolders. Use an email client, like Thunderbird, for a better experience.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks