cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My dad's email stopped working. Can someone please help?

Rob1966
Joining in

My elderly father has been without email for a week now because his iPad claims the password is no longer valid.

I have no way of performing a reset myself as the security question doesn't seem to work and likewise neither does the mechanism for a forgotten security question.

Frankly, this is a mess.

Help would be very much appreciated asap.

Many thanks 

9 REPLIES 9

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does your father have virgin broadband? If not the email may be in the process of being deleted as all orphan accounts are being closed 

If he does have broadband a virgin rep will assist you in getting it back up, if not they may be able to give temporary access to the account to allow you to retrieve emails and set up a new email with another supplier 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi has a Virginmedia package which includes broadband and tv.

His email address is name@ntlworld.com because his broadband and tv package was originally with NTL before the were acquired by Virgin years ago.

One would presume that he might be aware that his email account was about to be unceremoniously trashed and that he should have done something sooner but his surprise at this happening might suggest that this didn't happen.

In any case, if someone with the credentials to be able to look into this for him can do so, that would be very much appreciated.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rob1966

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Has your father recently moved properties or disconnected another account? We'd need to speak with your Father directly to be able to reset this password anyhow.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

He's very slow when 'doing IT' over the phone which is why I'm contacting you on his behalf.

He's already spoken to a man with an accent he couldn't understand who was unable to help him,

I have all his personal details including his old email password, account number, the location code, date of last direct debit and the amount paid.

Surely this information should be enough to prove that I'm a legitimate representative?

Thanks for you reply, Rob1966,

Are you able to try the reset here: https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password

Cheers,

Corey C

Perhaps unsurprisingly, that page is the first place I visited and as I mentioned previously, supplying the correct answer to the security question ( mother's maiden name ) doesn't work. It just results in a bright yellow banner which says "Please enter valid security details".

I've also visited the link "Forgot the answer to your security question" and having typed in Account Number, Area Reference, Date of last bill and Amount of last bill I am rewarded with a bright yellow banner which says "Please enter valid bill details".

This level of effort required to get something fixed which should never have been broken in the first place makes me so glad I'm with BT and I don't have to deal with this sort of nonsense.
xx

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rob1966, 

Thank you for your reply, we can take a look a this for him but it would need to be your Dad as we cannot make changes to the account unless it is the account holder.

Zoie

Thanks Zoie_P

Can you let me know how best to get someone with him on the phone to get this fixed pleased?

He had absolutely no luck with tech support last time he spoke to someone.

Many thanks.

Thanks for getting back to us Rob1966

I am going to send you a quick private message.

Regards

Lee_R