cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My IP address has been blacklisted

modern_min
Tuning in

I can no longer send email.  My IP address has been blacklisted.  The message tells me to contact the Virginmedia abuse desk, but that doesn't appear to exist.  I have tried unplugging the router overnight, but it has booted up with the same IP address.

I've done nothing wrong.  Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait for VM to get here - the router ip whist not static is certainly 'sticky' unplugging over night will not change it - the quick way is to go to modem mode - that will give you another ip but you lose wifi and can only have one device connected - if you have a router you can connect that

unfortunately when you go back to router mode its pretty certain it will have the original ip addy

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait for VM to get here - the router ip whist not static is certainly 'sticky' unplugging over night will not change it - the quick way is to go to modem mode - that will give you another ip but you lose wifi and can only have one device connected - if you have a router you can connect that

unfortunately when you go back to router mode its pretty certain it will have the original ip addy

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @modern_min

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your IP address being blacklisted. 

Please could you provide us with the trace routes that show your IP address as being blacklisted. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

modern_min
Tuning in

Can one of you please help me, as you have helped others?

Our outgoing emails are being blocked because the IP address is on one or more ant-spam blacklists.  The blacklists concerned appear to be:

dnsbl.spfbl

dnsbl.sorbl

dnsbl-1.uceprotect

dnsbl-2.weprotect

dnl.dnsbl.sorbs

I have scanned all three of our computers and both our phones with two different antivirus programs and with Malwarebytes.  No viruses or malware were found.  The only other connected devices are an Amazon Firestick and a Virgin V6 TV box.

Could you please, please ask a member of the VM team to delist this IP address, because it has clearly been listed in error.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@modern_min 

You might want to check some of those blacklist names again.

Based on what you've posted i would think you are on these lists.

dnsbl.spfbl.net

This does't actually list Spam sources.  Rather it lists IP addresses that shouldn't be sending mail direct to mail exchangers such as IP addresses that are allocated cia DHCP

dnsbl.sorbs.net - This is a master zone, if your IP address is listed on ANY of SORBS blacklists, it will also appear here - which brings us to:

duhl.dnsbl.sorbs.net - This uses the same criteria as dnsbl.spfbl.net - i.e.  addresses allocated via DHCP

UCE Protect Level 1 - This does list sources of spam and automatically delists an IP address after 7 days if no spam is seen.
UCE Protect Level 2 - This lists IP ranges when the volume of IP's in the range on Level 1 breaches a certain threshold.

NONE of the above Blacklists SHOULD stop you sending emails.  I run an email server.  If my server was on any of those blacklists I'd be concerned, as they would affect the ability of my server to deliver mail to OTHER domains. My home IP being on one of those lists would not stop my server receiving mail from me.

Rather than posting a traceroute - It would be more beneficial of you posted the actual error message you received.

NOTE: do not post the IP address on the main forum.  Virgin Media's Forum Team should take that from you directly (note don't PM them directly unless they ask you to).

I did post a little on how blacklists normally work here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/td-p/3169662

Virgin Media has however used Spamhaus' CSS AND now appear to be using their own blocklist on email submission.  Even though the RFC's do not recommend screening the submission servers this way.

FINALLY - you mention that you have an Amazon Firestick.  We have seen malware on these devices sending spam before now..  Make sure that no third party software has been installed on it.

@Zak_M - Can you revisit this and please and pass the users IP on to the security team so they can look into this?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a comprehensive response.  I am a little out of my depth here - I am just a plain old user, not a technician, so forgive me when I make stupid mistakes.

I obtained the list of web sites listing my router's IP address by following the mxtoolbox link in the first paragraph of the VM help page on the subject.

Here is the message I get when trying to send an email:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: csmtp1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Sorry your IP nn.nn.nnn.nn is active in our local abuse blacklist. Contact Virgin Media abusedesk for delisting requests..

I have not installed any software on the Amazon Firestick.

I hope this information will help you and the VM team to resolve the issue.

I've just noticed something.  It might be a vital clue, or it might be a red herring.  It turns out that the IP address block first appeared when my wife tried to send a particular message.  She has now attempted to send a similar message, but from VM web mail.  In both cases, the messages contained a link to a web site.  In the web mail case, she got the following message:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [redacted]
(554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=KOThmqHtezUs1K0ThmbdyC;sid=K0ThmqHtezUs1;mta=smtp3.tb;d=20210828;t=174241[CET];ipsrc=172.25.1
60.152;
) . •

Could this be the culprit?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It might be - but either way we need the Forum Team to escalate this.

They might want to see the link in question.  If you're not happy posting this on the open Forum, you can PM it to them when they ask.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi modern_min

Thanks for posting and apologies for the issues you're having with the email address.

I'll PM you now to get the details and also a copy of the full link (full error) you're receiving.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @modern_min

Thanks for joining me on PM

Just to update the thread, the internet security team have sorted this out 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill