cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Mail Delivery Failed Messages

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

On one of my accounts, I am receiving a large number of "mail delivery failed : returned to sender" messages from the Mail Delivery System. I did not send the emails.

I believe this means the account has probably been 'spoofed'. As a precaution, I have changed my email password and checked that it has not been found in any known data breaches.

I have scanned my computer using three different virus checkers and it is clear.

How can I stop this irritating problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wyvern2 wrote:

Changing the password will stop a spammer sending out emails with your email address via the Virgin Media email servers. To do that the spammer needs to know your password and your email address.  If the spammer knows your password their spam/scam emails are actually coming from your email address but you will be unaware of them and that is not good at all!  By changing the password you should have stopped that from happening.

However, changing the password does not stop someone merely "spoofing" your email address by, for example, merely inserting your email address in the "From" field of their email but actually sending the email from a completely different email address.

If that is what is happening with your email address then there is nothing you can do to stop it. Even closing the spoofed email account will not stop the spammer from spoofing your email address. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, which is the foundation for sending emails because does not mandate or enforce any authentication of email addresses so there is an inherent vulnerability with emails.

It is good that you have changed your password and scanned your device for malware. However I would suggest going a step further.

VM's password reset process is not particularly secure so personally I would suggest changing the security question and answer in your account. Sign in to https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your VM email address and password and navigate to the "Account Details" page. (You may have to go via the "Update settings" page to get there.)

On that "Account details" page you'll see "Password recovery question " - click on edit and select a different question. Then make the answer something that would be difficult for anyone but you to know or guess.

You could block the non delivery messages from appearing in your email account but then you run the risk of not being informed when an email that you send fails to get delivered for some reason.

My experience with spoofed email is the spammer/scammer soon moves on to spoofing another email address so hopefully you will not continue to see these non delivery reports much longer.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Wyvern2 wrote:

Changing the password will stop a spammer sending out emails with your email address via the Virgin Media email servers. To do that the spammer needs to know your password and your email address.  If the spammer knows your password their spam/scam emails are actually coming from your email address but you will be unaware of them and that is not good at all!  By changing the password you should have stopped that from happening.

However, changing the password does not stop someone merely "spoofing" your email address by, for example, merely inserting your email address in the "From" field of their email but actually sending the email from a completely different email address.

If that is what is happening with your email address then there is nothing you can do to stop it. Even closing the spoofed email account will not stop the spammer from spoofing your email address. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, which is the foundation for sending emails because does not mandate or enforce any authentication of email addresses so there is an inherent vulnerability with emails.

It is good that you have changed your password and scanned your device for malware. However I would suggest going a step further.

VM's password reset process is not particularly secure so personally I would suggest changing the security question and answer in your account. Sign in to https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using your VM email address and password and navigate to the "Account Details" page. (You may have to go via the "Update settings" page to get there.)

On that "Account details" page you'll see "Password recovery question " - click on edit and select a different question. Then make the answer something that would be difficult for anyone but you to know or guess.

You could block the non delivery messages from appearing in your email account but then you run the risk of not being informed when an email that you send fails to get delivered for some reason.

My experience with spoofed email is the spammer/scammer soon moves on to spoofing another email address so hopefully you will not continue to see these non delivery reports much longer.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Wyvern2
On our wavelength

Hi coenoby,

Thank you for your very comprehensive and helpful reply. I now understand the basic way in which the spammers operate. I will certainly look at changing my password security question for added peace of mind.