cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mother left for three weeks without email

SRegan
Tuning in

Posting here in the hopes that someone can advise and help push this forward - my mother is retired and living alone and is not technically minded. She has had an ntlworld email for nearly 20 years which she uses as her primary email address.

She noticed she wasn't receiving emails to Thunderbird on the 25th; I checked and the password was no longer being accepted. Separately, her virginmedia.com email inbox appeared to be locked ('Mailbox not available at the moment'). Resetting the overall account password did not resolve this and no option existed to reset the ntlworld email password, which did not appear associated with the account.

On the first call, on the 25th, I was told that it was an easy fix, and to try again in half an hour with a temp password I was given on the phone. An hour and a half later, with no success, I called back and was told that no, it would take three to five working days. I wasn't confident this representative even had access to the ticket (as they kept saying 'I'll check' when I asked them if they could see the notes), so after hanging up called again. The third rep said a ticket had been raised to resolve the virginmedia.com email inbox lock. After some effort I was able to make it understood that her ntlworld email address also wasn't working and I was given a ticket reference. She said she would call my mother back on 1st Dec, or failing that on the following Friday.

Someone called my mother on the 1st but she is adamant they didn't give her a password; they just told her 'the account is working' and hung up. I phoned back on the 2nd and was given a password which I was able to test on the phone and confirm belonged to the virginmedia.com email - not the ntlworld.com email. After once again explaining the situation, I was told another 3-5 working days; I stressed that my mother uses her email for her GP as well as her bills and that at this point she had been at least a week without email. At this point I was told compensation could be discussed after service was restored.

I noticed in the meantime in the My Virgin Media that someone had submitted a request to change the account log-in name to the ntlworld.com address, with an instruction to 'click the link in the email we've sent you'. This email has presumably been sent to the ntlworld.com address.

The following Thursday (9th), neither myself nor my mother having heard anything, I phoned again, and was told the problem had been resolved, but because I was not the account holder, the new password could only be given to my mother. I phoned her and asked her to call the customer support line. She reported that she had spoken to someone who had told her that her ntlworld.com email had been deleted, that she had been notified a year earlier by email (?) and that the ntlworld brand had been sold to TalkTalk. She was understandably very upset.

I phoned back to try and get a sense of why we were hearing such wildly different things from customer support. The rep I spoke to could not understand from the ticket what the actual situation was (and couldn't confirm whether or not the email address had been deleted) but said I could raise a complaint, which would be answered within 48 hours; I asked if the response could be to my mobile as I have been dealing with this for my mother and was told yes. Neither myself nor my mother have received any follow-up.

What's the next step? Can anyone get in touch to definitively confirm the status of the address? I have set my mother up with a Gmail account as she now doesn't trust the virginmedia.com address, but obviously as she's used the email for so long many different accounts use it - as well as being the address all her friends know for her.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm assuming that your mother has virgin media broadband, the @VirginMedia.com is attached to her broadband account and the ntlworld email address is not, any email not associated with a broadband account is being deleted, however they can do a move and transfer and set up her ntl account with the broadband But it would mean the virginmedia.com account would be destroyed, if my assumptions are correct could you confirm that this is what you want and a virgin rep will assist you with this 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm assuming that your mother has virgin media broadband, the @VirginMedia.com is attached to her broadband account and the ntlworld email address is not, any email not associated with a broadband account is being deleted, however they can do a move and transfer and set up her ntl account with the broadband But it would mean the virginmedia.com account would be destroyed, if my assumptions are correct could you confirm that this is what you want and a virgin rep will assist you with this 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for the speedy reply @dannylau. Yes, she has never used the virginmedia.com email address associated with the account so that would be great providing the ntlworld.com email address can be brought back.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've escalated this, the virgin rep will speak to you here and via private message, you will need your mother to answer the security question they will ask 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @SRegan,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that your mother has been left without her email.

Is the email registered to your active broadband account with us?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks @Hayley_S. Her My Virgin Media account is linked to a @virginmedia.com email - I can't see her @ntlworld.com email under 'Manage Accounts' or My Profile.

My mother has broadband, phone and TV with VM.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming @SRegan.

We would need to speak to the account holder to make any changes with emails on the account, does she have a community account? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @Hayley_S - she doesn't. There should be a note on the account that she is happy for me to manage this for her.

If it's helpful I can set up an account with the virginmedia.com email of the broadband account to use as gobetween?

Hi SRegan, 

I'm sorry, there are certain things that only the account holder can do. In order to help resolve things we would need to do a password reset. Due to security, this can't be done with a third party. 

Your mum will need to either create her own community account and post here so we can then pass data protection with her or she will need to call the team for them to complete the steps needed. 

We understand the frustration but we need to ensure the account information is kept safe. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dear Kath_F,

We have set up an account in the name of my Virgin Media email. I hope this is OK and that you can now message us to get the data protection information.

Kind regards,

Christine