cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More emails are going into spam

RoyCa
On our wavelength

Has someone changed settings at Virginmedia? Far more emails are going into spam than usual. I even sent tests email to myself which ended up in spam. That does not normally happen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey @RoyCa,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with spam emails, no settings have been changed across our Virgin Media email accounts.

Have you been able to follow the instructions from @coenoby to help check your issue?

Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RoyCa wrote:

Far more emails are going into spam than usual. I even sent tests email to myself which ended up in spam. That does not normally happen.

I'm seeing no change in my VM accounts.

My first thought is that you may have a filter rule or rules set up in your VM email account, perhaps to catch specific types of spam emails. These filters can often have unintended consequences and send genuine emails to spam.

To check, sign into your Webmail account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and then follow steps 1 to 4 as below:

filter rules steps.png

If you have any filter rules listed, temporarily disable them by clicking on Disable as you see against the "goodtaste stories" filter in the screen shot. Then try your test again by sending a test email to the account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @RoyCa,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with spam emails, no settings have been changed across our Virgin Media email accounts.

Have you been able to follow the instructions from @coenoby to help check your issue?

Regards,

Steven_L

RoyCa
On our wavelength

Sorry, I thought my post was deleted. I have checked the filter point mentioned and I do not appear to have any apart from a Vacation Notice.

The strange thing is that this has only happened recently and to another ntlword email as well as mine. My emails to him started to go into his spam folder. I run two sports leagues so send out quite a few group emails by Bcc with myself as the main recipient. Mine have always gone into my Inbox. For around a week or so they have been turning up in Spam for no apparent reason.

Hi @RoyCa, sorry to hear of your email issue. 
There is another thread here of a customer with the same issue where they were able to resolve the problem. If you could try the troubleshooting steps outlined by @PRL and let us know how you get on!

All the best. 

Molly

RoyCa
On our wavelength

It is a mystery. In Settings/Spam Settings I have it set at: Move message to Spam folder.

In Filter Rules I have nothing but an old vacation notice that's been there for ages.

Under Blacklisting I have nothing.

I repeatedly send test emails to myself which go into the Spam folder. I click the Thumbs up sign indicating Not Spam. This returned them to the Inbox. but nothing is learned by it as the next one goes into Spam.

I have not changed anything at all as far as I know. It just started happening spontaneously.

@RoyCa wrote:

It is a mystery. In Settings/Spam Settings I have it set at: Move message to Spam folder.

In Filter Rules I have nothing but an old vacation notice that's been there for ages.

Under Blacklisting I have nothing.

I repeatedly send test emails to myself which go into the Spam folder. I click the Thumbs up sign indicating Not Spam. This returned them to the Inbox. but nothing is learned by it as the next one goes into Spam.

Marking an email as SPAM or NOT SPAM in Virgin Media Mail will move that email to the relevant folder, but doesn't maintain that choice for future messages for that sender.

[ Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-spam-settings ]

I have not changed anything at all as far as I know. It just started happening spontaneously.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

RoyCa
On our wavelength

Thanks. I have read the webpage and that also reminds me that my address is in my address book. So that's another reason why my emails should not be going into spam. It should 'know' it is a trusted source. It has only been happening for about a week. Baffled!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RoyCa wrote:

1)  my address is in my address book. So that's another reason why my emails should not be going into spam.

2) Baffled!

Regarding 1)  - Sadly despite what VM say, that is by no means infallible so you cannot rely on emails from your contacts never being flagged as spam.

Regarding 2) -  What might help to give some clues would be to check the "source", also known as "email headers", for one of the emails that went to the spam folder.

View the message (edited to add- best to look at one of your test emails to yourself to avoid any confusion with other real spam issues)  in your Webmail account and click on the icons circled in red.

source.png

When you click on "View source" a pop up box will display. Check for any lines in that text which start  "X-Spam", "X-Spam-Action" or "X-Spam-Reason" and copy and post each of those 3 lines in full here. That may give some hint as to why VM is flagging that email as spam.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RoyCa
On our wavelength

X-Spam: yes
X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.4 cv=DsdFRUz+ c=1 sm=1 tr=0 ts=61e44455 cx=a_exe:a_idp_d
a=rKl3PZ0TtsH76cviVwgYBQ==:117 a=9+rZDBEiDlHhcck0kWbJtElFXBc=:19
a=vw2tEMbkSusA:10 a=DghFqjY3_ZEA:10 a=0qstnz7eSB4A:10
a=rH3YV43ByvYGlMPykV0A:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=Cfcs2-gpuGCRcwPXk60A:9
a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=pHzHmUro8NiASowvMSCR:22 a=nt3jZW36AmriUCFCBwmW:22
X-Spam-Action: folder Spam
X-Spam-Reason: SMCH_ACTION=reject

Hope you can spot something.