Menu
Dirk-gently
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Missing e-mails on a Blueyonder account

I have an odd problem. E-mails had been working fine, same account on a few devices but since yesterday I can only view e-mails received since 3/12/18. This is a Blueyonder account; I've accessed webmail and also showing the same .

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Missing e-mails on a Blueyonder account

Two main possibilities - 

1. Account Hacked 

Someone may have found out or guessed your password and set up an auto-forward to send your emails onwards to another address and then attempted to cover their tracks by deleting the contents of your Inbox..

Login into webmail. Go to Settings/email/Auto Forward

Delete any auto-forward and change your password immediately.

Here is some further guidance -

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

2. Accidental Deletion

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your email account.

There are numerous examples on this site of “lost emails” - usually caused by a failure of the user to understand how easy it is to “accidentally” delete everything by hitting the wrong buttons on their smartphone or tablet. Or by failing to understand the downside consequences of managing emails via these devices where a mis-key or a software error in an app can wipe out a whole folder content.

This is just one example -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ntlworld-email-history-disappeared-from-PC-and-iPad-help/m...

0 Kudos
Dirk-gently
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply; I'm fairly sure my account hasn't been hacked as no auto-forward etc I am slightly concerned the e-mails may have been accidentally deleted. One of the devices that accesses the account is an iPhone and from some of the posts I've briefly read this does seem to be a problem.

I'll check further evening but one question I have is in webmail it does indicate 5gb of storage is being used, which seems high if e-mails have been deleted?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked all your folders in webmail? Is there any trace of the missing Inbox emails in Trash, Spam, or Archive for example?

In webmail the initial value reported by Mail Quota may be out of date. It may only be updated infrequently (daily?) - I'm not sure. Try refreshing the web page by pressing Ctrl + Shift + R to see if it updates.

0 Kudos
fatcontroller
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just adding a voice to this thread, as I am in exactly the same situation.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dirk-gently,

Interesting. I have noticed another customer reporting this, shall have to search for any others. I would like to clear security with you and investigate this - please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right) and I'll see what I can find out.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
HilJ
Just joined
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have just joined this forum as something similar has happened to me.  I have lost messages from the Sent folders in two blueyonder accounts.  These messages went back many years.  Now I can only see messages dating back to earlier this year.  I've checked other folders but no luck.  Both inboxes are unaffected.  Well, at the moment, that is....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@HilJ wrote:

Hi, I have just joined this forum as something similar has happened to me.  I have lost messages from the Sent folders in two blueyonder accounts.  These messages went back many years.  Now I can only see messages dating back to earlier this year.  I've checked other folders but no luck.  Both inboxes are unaffected.  Well, at the moment, that is....

Your problem is similar but not the same as the thread you are posting in. Please open your own thread about "Missing Sent Emails".