Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Sent Items

keith0066
Tuning in

Hi All

Hope someone can help.

I use Outlook 2010 for my VM email address not the webversion.

recently I had to reinstall Win10 and thus reset up outlook and it all worked fine, upto a point, as all my inbox items are present. But i have no sent items history?

Sent items are present from the change but none before.

They are however present on the VM servers, its just a pain having to sign on each time i need to find anything.

So how do i transfer the sent iems in bulk from VM to my desttop outlook2010.

Already imported PST file, hence i have the inbox, so its not that.

I've copied one item from the VM server as an eml file, it worked but sits in the sent items like a file and it shows todays date and no details of who it was sent to. However it can be opened and those details are present.

So what i'd like to do is import the whole sent items data set into outlook to show as sent items with the correct info that is present in the file.

Any ideas anyone.

Cheers   Keith0066

10 REPLIES 10

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My first instinct would be to double check your settings.  It sounds as if you may have set up the client using POP3 instead of IMAP.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've been taking another look at this.

I no longer have a Virgin Media account but one of my fellow VIP's set me up with one.

First thing I noticed was that the old Gmail folders were visible in a brand new account.  These folders were a holdover from the days when the email service was first migrated from the old Google Apps for ISP service back around 2016.  I've deleted these.  But from personal experience, these should not appear in newly created accounts.

The second thing I noticed was the addition of a new Sent folder under My Folders in Webmail.

ravenstar68_0-1627465699780.png

Looking at my email client I found this in he folder setup

ravenstar68_1-1627465854150.png

Now it's about to get confusing so pay attention:

Previously all sent mail, whether sent by mail client or webmail ended up in Sent Objects in Webmail, which automatically equated to Sent in email programs such as Outlook or emClient

Now

When I send an email using Webmail - the mail ends up in the following folders:

• Webmail - Sent Objects
  • Email client - Sentmail

When I send an email via an email client the mail appears in the following folders:

• Webmail - My Folders/Sent
  • Email Client - Sent.

It looks to me as if someone may have reverted to an earlier configuration of the Dovecot server.

@ModTeam 

Can we get this raised, as this is not behaviour I would expect.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the Sent Item location for the account?

FYI: to check select  File, Account Settings, Account Settings, the account, then Change, More and in the Internet email Settings dialogue box select Sent Items tab.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Here's what I see when I use Curl

* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Sent) "/" Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Drafts) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" SentMail
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Junk) "/" Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Trash) "/" Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX

Tim

Hi Guy's

Many thanks for the replies and s bit of a movement on this one.

It is all set up as POP3 as i know little about email accounts and thats what it has always been and it worked fine for many years. So years ago i screenshotted the settings so i would know what to do and have used those. I've been a VM cust for years so old e-mail address, pre 2010 maybe. It has always worked fine and only this recent change of reinstalling Win10 after new HardDrive has caused a problem of missing old sent items. New sent items are appearing in outlook exactly as they should.

Sent items are in the "sent Objecs" folder and also worked out how to copy the e-mails to a file.

So i now have a folder on my desktop full of EML files.

So how do i either transfer the sent items from the webmail to Outlook (2010) or load those EML files to outlook. As its a one off i don't really want to buy software.

Cheers   Keith0066

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wish people would learn to stop using POP3 - especially if they want their Sent mail merged across devices.

POP3 (Post Office Protocol) was designed for small mailbox sizes, where users needed to download the mail from the the mailbox and delete it in order to allow new mails to be received There are work arounds in place to use multiple devices with POP3 - but this means in order to have the same folder layout across devices you have to set it up manually on each device.

As such it's a one way transfer of information and because POP3 itself has no concept of folders - the only mail that is downloaded is that in the INBOX

Compare this with IMAP (Interactive Message Access Protocol).

With IMAP - all your mail is stored on the server with copies being downloaded to any and all devices using that account.  Further to that - ANY mail NOT on the server (usually mail you've Sent) is uploaded via IMAP to the Sent folder (which translates to Sent Objects in Webmail).  This allows all folders to be synced across all devices automatically.

Of course one drawback is that you have to make sure that you don't delete a mail until you're sure you don't need it anymore.

Tim

Edit - BTW - If you need help transferring .eml files into Outlook - have a look here:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/import-eml-files.htm

Some of the solutions are free for non commercial users.

Hi

Well its diff for a non-tech person to know what they need to learn, afterall to me this is an unknown unknown in that ididn't know i didn't know about this potential issue.

After all my pop three setting have worked for over 10 years with full access to my sent items (and everything else) without ever having to sign on to my VM Email, so from my point of view has worked perfectly with no issues and i'm sure would still be working ok bar a failed HDD and the need to reinstall windows and outlook and of course i have no idea how to set Outlook up to use IMAP .

I have one device with this e-mail is on so have never had any need to do anything with them at all and I'm not botherred about they latest software versions, hence still using Office 2010, and probably will still be in 10 years time when i'm sure i should be using office 365.

But if there is a simpl;e way to migrate to IMAP without losing anything probably worth a try.

Thanks for the link.

Keith0066

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That is precisely why we have users sitting on old outdated email settings, and why Virgin Media is afraid to make their servers more secure.

If you've been using the same settings for more than 10 years, then they're out of date, likewise Outlook 2010 was marked end of life by Microsoft in October last year, meaning it gets no more updates.  Over time it's going to be increasingly insecure as if hackers discover new vulnerabilities, Microsoft won't patch them out.

The best solution is to export your current account as a pst file (Using File->Open and Export) then deleting the POP3 account and recreating it as an IMAP account.

Since 2015 Virgin Media hasn't actually been deleting emails when a POP3 client requests it.  Rather they're just hidden from further POP3 connections, they're still available using IMAP.  (incidentally, if you've been using webmail, then you've been using IMAP - the only difference is is that the IMAP client based on a remote web server rather than your own PC).

Hackers love people who feel they "are non tech", these are people who often leave default insecure passwords on routers and webcams.  When you get a computer, you need to take a little time to understand some basic tech like email security.

VM's current recommended email settings are here - they're the same settings for all domains.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

If you've got an email client such as Thunderbird - it will even autoconfigure the settings for you, as should current versions of Outlook too.

Tim

Hi

Thanks for the info, but couple of questions.

How can i update Outlook 2010 because of the security issues without having to buy or subscribe to Office 365 as £10 per month is alot on a per word doc or spreadsheet basis if i have to buy/rent the whole thing or will i need an alternative e-mail program or app?

Whilst i'm not very techy and don't care if the Word or Excel version I use are the latest or not as the version i've got works fine and for the same reason haven't got a 4K TV, i do take passwords and security reasonably seriously and do not stick to simple generic PW's, in fact my WiFi/router password is a 20 plus random character one so should be reasonable.

If i change to IMAP will whatever suitable software i use reimport everything curently on VM webmail into that new software on my PC?

Cheers   Keith