cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages stuck in Outbox

GeeBee666
Tuning in

In plain and simple non-tech speak, can anyone please tell me why emails sent on my phone sometimes get stuck in my Outbox?

What is the solution?

14 REPLIES 14

BillBudd
Superfast

Hi,

Could be that you have mobile data turned off for the mail client.  In which case it will only send mail when connected using WiFi.

What phone are you using?  What mail client are you using (Apple Mail/Outlook/Google...)?

Do the emails that get stuck have anything in common (attachments, photos, links)?

Kind Regards,

Bill

I do not work for VM. Services: 2 x HD TV (+ Sky Sports, BT sport), x2 Tivo boxes (WiFi) Hub5 1gb, Talk Weekend Phone on IP, o2 Mobile SIM on iPhone, unlimited data, texts & minutes.

Thanks Bill,

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 31M and Outlook. The stuck emails are simple emails with no attachments. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You didn't say if you have mobile data switched on when you get this issue.

Make sure your mail client is set to use the current server settings as detailed here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry, Yes mobile date is switched on, but I'm in range of my home WiFi anyway. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If I recall correctly the MS Outlook app uses some sort of proprietary system that intervenes in the email sending process.  This may be the cause of your issues.  

@ravenstar68 may have comment on this, if he is available.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hey GeeBee666, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are having some emails issues. 

Is this only from when you are using your phone, does it do this when you use a desktop / other device?

Also you have mentioned your phone is Android and you are using outlook, is the app and phone updated to the latest software? 

Has this always happened or it just the odd time?

Could you please try removing the email from outlook and adding it back on.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response.   Taking each of your questions in turn ...

Is this only from when you are using your phone, does it do this when you use a desktop / other device? Yes it only happens when using my phone, emails sent from laptop are not affected.

Also you have mentioned your phone is Android and you are using outlook, is the app and phone updated to the latest software? Yes, both the phone amd the app are using the latest software, as far as I can tell.

Has this always happened or it just the odd time? This rarely happens, but has done so at  least 3 times in the last month for it to be a coincidence.

Could you please try removing the email from outlook and adding it back on. This doesn't appear to improve lmyyertters. 

Kind regards 

Hi Matt,

I've just seen the gobbledegook at the end of my last message! It should read ... it doesn't appear to improve matters.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I haven't used Outlook on the mobile for ages

However last I checked it doesn't connect directly to VM's servers, rather it talks to an intermidiate server on Microsofts's end and it is that server that actuallly conducts the POP3/IMAP/SMTP connections with VM's server.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more