cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messages ostensibly from Virgin Media not detected as Spam

britbrat2
Joining in

I ma regularly getting 5 to 10 emails that supposedly come from Virgin, They are about file storage full, new email system etc.

They are obviously Spam as can be seen from the sender's address.

What bothers me is that they are passed as OK by the Virgin Media spam filter into my inbox. Many other messages are correctly blocked into spam.

Surely Virgin can set up the filter to check everything with Virgin in the sender name or Subject line and reject anything that was not sent by Virgin

4 REPLIES 4

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@britbrat2 Surely Virgin can set up the filter to check everything with Virgin in the sender name or Subject line and reject anything that was not sent by Virgin

They could, but of late VM's spam filtering has been performing very poorly.  The company have repeatedly been made aware, but seem unwilling to do anything about it. 

An educated guess would be that they use a third party to provide spam blocking, and they chose somebody cheap'n'crap who meet the SLA with the most lackadaisical and disinterested compliance possible, or they've simply changed service provider to save money, and the new one is as effective as VM's cable-pull and civil works outsource, the first line customer support outsource, or the logistics outsource to Yodel.   Evidently VM's procurement team and senior managers know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @britbrat2,

Many thanks for your post. I'm really sorry for the spam you are receiving claiming to be us.

We will continue to feed this back to the relevant teams. Depending on the content of the emails it may be possible to change some Spam Settings and apply filters to re-direct these, however, I do understand that this may run the risk of directing the genuine emails from ourselves.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Molly

You say "this may run the risk of directing the genuine emails from ourselves."

My point is that Virgin media knows the genuine email addresses from which it sends emails and can let those through.

Just a few recent "Virgin Media" emails not flagged as SPAM were from:

Virgin Media<evellynburry@gmail.com>

Virgin M<ela.alexandera@gmail.com>

Virgin Media<pam.sissson@gmail.com>

"Depending on the content of the emails" It's nothing as complex as any content, just the sender email address.........

As a retired IT Director, I know the technology to reject those examples is not that difficult.

John Saville C.Eng, MIET, MBCS, CITP

Hi @britbrat2,

I do apologise. As my colleague has suggested, I'd recommend adjusting the spam settings of your email service to help minimise on emails like this coming through.

If the emails appear to be asking you to provide sensitive details or have a potential phishing link within them, please forward the email(s) to phishing@virginmedia.com so that the team can investigate.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!