cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailbox Deleted

javanwardle
Tuning in

A couple of weeks ago, my email of 20+ years has suddenly been removed with no notice.

My entire life for the last couple of decades or more is in there. Holiday tickets for the summer, accounting, contacts, just my entire life.

All I need is a few days notice to archive important information.

I have chased online chat, telephoned, raised complaints but to no avail. I just keep getting a 90 day story but I have not had any notice never mind 90 days.

Who can I chase please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thank you for the reply. That helps me understand what has happened. However, it doesn't get me a result. I am hoping for advice to get the following two results:

1. How do I make enough noise and who can I contact so that some support person takes pity and restores access to my mailbox for a sort time while I extract what I need.

2. If Virgin's engineers can put a person into space, then it is not rocket science for their engineers to find mailboxes for deletion, pop a 30 day warning email into the respective mail then queue them up for deletion 30 days hence. If we can encourage this simple result, then other email users may be spared the horrendous user experience I have suffered plus the associated brand damage. 

@javanwardle wrote:

Thank you for the reply. That helps me understand what has happened. However, it doesn't get me a result. I am hoping for advice to get the following two results:

1. How do I make enough noise and who can I contact so that some support person takes pity and restores access to my mailbox for a sort time while I extract what I need.

2. If Virgin's engineers can put a person into space, then it is not rocket science for their engineers to find mailboxes for deletion, pop a 30 day warning email into the respective mail then queue them up for deletion 30 days hence. If we can encourage this simple result, then other email users may be spared the horrendous user experience I have suffered plus the associated brand damage. 

Well in answer to your points:

1. Making noise won't help as Virgin Media can be extremely deaf to complaints.  You may be lucky in getting a VM staff member offering to help, but they are spending most of their efforts assisting their paying customers.  If you have a VM broadband account, one of them should be along shortly.

2. There is no associated brand damage in closing an account that should have been closed years before (again assuming you are no longer a customer.

Really you must accept some of the blame.  An email account is just what it says on the tin: it's a method of exchanging messages.

A simple email address like the one you have been using was never intended as a permanent online repository for important life data.  If you use it as such, and particularly if you do not save a backup somewhere secure, then you are taking a risk that will eventually let you down.    

edit to add. Virgin Media is a US owned company that has no connection with any other Virgin company apart from the name.

- jpeg1

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@javanwardle 

Are you a current, paying, VM broadband subscriber?

I read an inference from your posts so far that you're not.

If this is not so, then now would be a good time to say so!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

In response to some of the observations on this forum, my situation is that 20+ years ago, when signing up for a Virgin mortgage, life insurance, internet connection and email, I was not aware of any 90 day notice in the contract regarding deleting an email account if other services were cancelled.

When I closed all other services, I received no information/notification about a 90 day notice being imposed upon my email account.

For all the interim years I have used my virgin.net account, which I have trusted and relied upon, I have never heard of or received any information regarding this 90 day notice.

Obviously, if I had received any such notification or information, I would have sought further advice and a solution.

Any definite help or knowledge as to how to restore my email account at least temporarily to transfer data would be very much appreciated.

Is there any moderator out there that can help me sort this problem out? It really would be appreciated,.

Thank you in advance, regards, Javan

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @javanwardle

Welcome back to the forums & thank you once again for your post. 

I can look into this further for you no problem. 

I will pop you over a PM so that I can look further into this for you., you can find this in the purple envelope in the top right of the screen. 

Kind regard,

Zak_M