cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail server - receiving reporting error on 1 email account

JozMac
Joining in

Suddenly yesterday get this error for just one email mail server 

Emails are being received fine when not on wifi and on another network other than home one 

I recently had the account changed over to my name due to bereavement and have changed the email address on the account a week ago  - not sure if this is significant

JozMac_0-1679046641285.png

23 REPLIES 23

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @JozMac, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the email.
Unfortunately I cannot see the screenshot sent, are you able to resend it?
Try to avoid any personal information, such as email address and account details etc.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

JozMac_2-1679140546002.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My sincere condolences on your recent bereavement.

Is the email domain involved  one of Virgin Media's, i.e. blueyonder.co.uk, ntlword.com, virgin.net, or virginmedia.com? If not can you post the email server's POP3 address, for example pop3.virginmedia.com?

The behaviour observed of it working when not connected to your home network may indicate the email server address is failing to resolve correctly, i.e. it is failing to resolve to its correct IP Address, for example pop3.virginmedia.com resolves to 212.54.56.51. To see if this is the case either::

• in Windows open a Command Shell window
  • in macOS, Linux, etc. open a Terminal application  / window

and then enter the following command where example.com is replaced with the POP3 email server address:

nslookup example.com

Post the resulting output here taking care to redact anything deemed personal. For instance, for Virgin Media the POP3 email server addres would be pop3.virginmedia.com resulting in the following:

[Redacted]$ nslookup pop3.virginmedia.com
Server: 194.168.4.100 Address: 194.168.4.100#53 Non-authoritative answer: pop3.virginmedia.com canonical name = mail-virginmedia-com.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net. Name: mail-virginmedia-com.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net Address: 212.54.56.51

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for sharing the screenshot @JozMac 

Could you get back to us with what @用心棒 has requested so we can assist further?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

I think I have done this correctly

JozMac_0-1679334151358.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The command was correctly executed but alas it provides no clue to why you are able to successful connect when on other networks but not from your Virgin Media home network.

Can you confirm when the issue occurs that your are also unable to send an email? If the issue does not occur when sending an email post back here otherwise try the following. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://mail.macaulayclan.co.uk -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

FYI for Virgin Media's email server if there is no issue then you would see the following output from the curl command:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 235 2.7.0 SMTP350 Authentication successful for user [Redacted]
> HELP
< 214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
214-2.0.0 This is cmsmtp ESMTP service help
< 214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
214-2.0.0 To contact postmaster send email to postmaster@virginmedia.com.
< 214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
214-2.0.0 For local information send email to Postmaster at your site.
< 214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
214 2.0.0 end of HELP info
* Connection #0 to host smtp.virginmedia.com left intact

Otherwise unsuccessful will look similar to the following where the server was unable to authenticate the user's credentials:

> AUTH PLAIN
< 334
> [Redacted]
< 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM320)
* Closing connection 0
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):
curl: (67) Login denied

Hi I cannot send emails either  - please see error below 

JozMac_0-1679394874598.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did the curl command shine any light on what could be the issue; reminder to not post its output here?

Hey JozMac, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear this.

I have taken a look from our side and everything is looking okay, please can you try this email on another browser and let me know if this works or not? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?