Menu
Highlighted
Japester1
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

MS office Outlook 2003 issues

I'm having a maddening issue signing into my email with outlook... It was all good til I changed passwords. Now I'm getting error messages saying it can't sign into the server. I used the manual settings ensuring the port numbers, smtp and pop server names were correct.but no matter what I do it won't connect. I tried re-creating the account as an IMAP acct but that won't connect either. I can sign in no problem from my mobile, but my laptop simply won't connect... What am I doing wrong?

incidentally.. there was an old username in the settings that made no sense.. ra00v something and I can't find any reference to it anywhere... can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: MS office Outlook 2003 issues

It is always helpful if you set out precisely what settings and port numbers you are using.  Saying you have checked them and they are correct does not give others the chance to confirm or not whether you are in fact using the correct settings.

The old username you refer to looks like the beginning part of the old system generated blueyonder email addresses.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The original username format for Telewest Blueyonder was 2 alphas, two zeros, followed by 6 alphanumerics - eg – aa00xxxxxx. Sounds like that is what you were seeing.

0 Kudos
Japester1
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes that sounds about right... I've amended it to the email address as suggested. .. updated the password. .. double checked the ports and such... nothing... tried all the permutations of ssl tick boxes... I'm at a loss

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Japester1wrote:

Yes that sounds about right... I've amended it to the email address as suggested. .. updated the password. .. double checked the ports and such... nothing... tried all the permutations of ssl tick boxes... I'm at a loss

As I wrote in post 2 unless you set out exactly what settings you are using you make it difficult for us to help you.  All we can do at this stage is point you to the correct settings here: Email-settings-change  but you imply that you are already using these.

By the way ticking an answer as helpful marks the thread as solved, which it clearly isn't yet in this case.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please do as Graham suggests and detail the settings you are using.

And you must get some sort of error response surely – not “nothing”. 

Regardless, here are some things to try - 

First off, go into MyVirginMedia and change the password again – to the same thing you already changed it to. Reason – a “change” should refresh the password across all the VM email servers. Make sure you haven’t mis-spelt the password in Outlook. Make sure the password conforms to these rules -

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... 

If that doesn’t fix it, try repairing Outlook – see these instructions -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/821593/how-to-install-or-repair-and-reinstall-office-2003-p... 

If the repair doesn’t work, you may have to re-install it. 

I hope you know MS support for Outlook 2003 ceased in 2014.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Japester1, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your emails. 

Are you able to log in to webmail ok?

Has the advice Graham_A and BillC45 have provided helped at all? 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In the ancient of days me@somewhere.com didn't exist and your email address was a serial number.  Cable and Wireless were similar to those mentioned above using aliases, whereas some ISP's just used a single letter followed by a 5 digit (or whatever) number. Due to the way URL's work they couldn't use @cable&wireless.com and used @mcmail.com (late 20th century) instead.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos