cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook Express

Laurance
Dialled in

Every few weeks my MS Outlook Express email account seems to stop working because it is synchronizing. I'm sure it's for the best but can any one in layman's terms direct me to how I can adjust when this happens eg through the night? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Laurance wrote:

As you suggest I shall "Email" forum for my query

No need to, I've moved the thread for you @Laurance 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you actually mean Outlook Express or Outlook?

If you do mean Outlook Express, I hope someone on here has a good memory to help you out with this because OE finally reached end of life back in 2014 and its replacement, Windows Live Mail, has also been end of life for quite some time too.

Going from memory, are there some options to set the time interval for when OE automatically checks for new mail? You could try experimenting with that interval (probably increasing it so OE it checks less frequently). I think there might also be some settings to make a check when you start or close the program. You might want to try experimenting with those.

Also, how much total mail size are you synchronising/storing in OE. IIRC, the bigger the amount of mail stored, the less reliable it gradually became. Is it actually synchronising or doing some other operation every few weeks ('compacting' the database?).

OE was simple to use but was never that robust or reliable. For security and reliability you really should look at changing to a current email client which has support/security updates. If you are using Outlook Express on the flaky VM email system, I'm surprised you are receiving any emails at all.

Hi I think you may be mistaken about Outlook Express. If you go to buy MS Office 365 you will see Outlook Express email is still available in Office 365...See below.... 

Microsoft 365

Stay a step ahead with the latest AI-powered apps:​

• Create inspiring documents with smart assistance features in Word, Excel & PowerPoint​

• Save up to 500,000 photos* & files with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage (*assumes 2 MB file size)​

• Enjoy an ad-free email and calendar experience with Outlook

Premium value
Laurance_0-1642239967703.png

Laurance_1-1642239967640.png

Laurance_2-1642239967754.png

Laurance_3-1642239967760.png

Laurance_4-1642239967646.png

Laurance_5-1642239967648.png

Laurance_6-1642239967668.png

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If the email program you are using is part of the paid-for Office suite of programs, then that is just called 'Outlook'.

'Outlook Express', on the other hand, was a free, simple email client program which was bundled with past versions of Windows and is long-defunct.

If you are using the Outlook desktop email client as part of a Microsoft 365 subscription, you are more likely to get the best help with your Outlook synchronisation query on the 'Email' forum, rather than here in 'Tech Chatter', but make sure you refer to 'Outlook' rather than 'Outlook Express'

Hi thanks for your response. Yes the email program I am using is part of the paid-for Office suite of programs So I should refer to it as just Outlook rather than Outlook Express.Good to know. 

As you suggest I shall "Email" forum for my query.

Many thanks,

Laurance 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Laurance wrote:

As you suggest I shall "Email" forum for my query

No need to, I've moved the thread for you @Laurance 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi many thanx for moving the thread, but sorry to be abit dumb but can U please suggest where I find Email Forum?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're now in it.  - Thanks @japitts

@Laurance When Outook stops synchonising do you see any error messages?

No error messages. Just back to normal service

Hi @Laurance, thanks for your post although I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Outlook.

With Outlook being a third-party email client, we're unable to provide any further assistance more than what @goslow and @japitts have already provided I'm afraid.

Are your emails working fine through your Virgin Media webmail on your online account?

Hope you're able to find the answer you need on the email forums soon!

Regards

Tom_W