cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost sent items

ML43
Joining in

I contacted Virginmedia by telephone on 1 June 2021 to report that all of my sent items before 8 May 2021 had, seemingly spontaneously, disappeared. A similar thing had happened about a month previously. Further, my deleted items were disappearing after one week and there was no setting available to allow me to change this.

The Virginmedia advisor was helpful in that he suggested that I try various ways to remedy the problem but, in the end, he had to conclude that it was a technical problem which he would pass on to the relevant team from whom I might expect to hear within 2 or 3 weeks.  

As I had not heard from anyone a month later, I telephoned Virginmedia again. The advisor I spoke to on this occasion was also helpful and sympathetic but was unable to find a solution. He told me that he would ensure that the technical team would look into this and get in touch.  

As I heard nothing more, I was wondering whether it may be best if I changed to a different email provider, despite the inconvenience of notifying everyone of my change of address, as it is clearly unsatisfactory to lose my sent items at intervals and also not to be able to change the setting relating to deleted items.

When I posted the above in response to a request from Trustpilot to write a review of the service I had received, however, I was invited by Virginmedia to post my comments here so that a member of the Virginmedia team could help.  I’m therefore hoping someone can!

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given your description of the issue it is most likely being caused by you accessing the email account via a third party email client using the IMAP server settings on one or other of your connected devices.

Apple devices are often found to be the cause.

The deleted items folder is automatically cleared in Virgin Media mail periodically, although the frequency appears random when compared with the stated policy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for responding Graham.  Can you expand on how I might have deleted the sent items?  I am not aware of any setting on my Apple devices which enables this and I didn't delete them manually on any of my devices.

Can anyone help me to adjust my settings so that I don't lose my deleted items after one week and my sent items periodically for no apparent reason?  All my devices are Apple devices.  The previous reply I received seems to indicate that there is no solution other than not using Apple which is not really an option for me.  This makes me think that I maybe just have to switch to a different provider, despite the inconvenience.     

For your missing sent items, have a look at post # 3 by ravenstar68 in this thread https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Missing-Sent-Items/m-p/4786729#M221103 which shows there may be more than one sent folder.

Check in VM webmail to see if you have similar multiple sent folders and if your sent emails are held in a different sent folder.

As for your deleted items, see here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-delete-my-emails under How to permanently delete a message from the Trash folder

Note: Any messages in the Trash folder that are over 7 days old are automatically deleted.

Don't delete any messages you wish to keep, move them to another folder or leave them in your inbox.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi @ML43,

Thank you for your post. I am really sorry to hear you're having some ongoing issues with your emails.

I can see that some other members of the community have offered some advice on this. Have these suggestions helped address and resolve this for you?

Let us know either way and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!