cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of vrigin.net e-mail

TriciaP1
Joining in

Good afternoon

I hope that you would be able to assist?

Since 14th October 2021, I have been unable to acces my e-mail address - [REMOVED]

I have used this account for the last 30+ years when it was 'free' to set up e-mail addresses.

I have not had any notification, that I am aware of, that the e-mail address was being closed, and am struggling to carry on with my work etc as I am unable to access any correspondence.

I have tried contacting customer services department etc but to no avail.  Virgin state that the e-mail accounts were sold to Talk Talk,  Talk Talk state that they do not own the virgin.net domain.

I have been sent from pillar to post and am at a loss.

Many thanks

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@TriciaP1 no worries about not being particularly computer literate, I know many people who claim to be but actually wouldn’t know how to plug one in!

Unfortunately, you need to work on the assumption that you email has all gone and is not coming back. As mentioned above, use of any of the VM branded email addresses is conditional on you being a current broadband subscriber, and even then the email address needed to be properly associated with your broadband account - something which has tripped up a couple of other posters here.

If you have never been a subscriber, then your email really should have been deleted many years ago as per the Ts & Cs which you agreed to (yes I know, nobody actually reads of bothers about them but  they are a ‘get out of jail free’ card for companies), but VM have been somewhat lax in doing so in a timely fashion but eventually fate catches up with them and they get unceremoniously disabled and then deleted.

What I will do is escalate this thread to the forum team who may, and I stress may, be able to sort you out with temporary access for long enough to copy out anything you particularly want to keep - but it is a bit of a long shot.

Oh and forget the scanning for viruses, that really isn’t going to help in any way, shape or form.

John

oh well scrub the escalation as it seems they have already found the thread - sorry it wasn’t the answer you wanted.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately to keep a virgin media email you must have a virgin broadband account, virgin are deleting all emails that don't have a broadband account associated with them, if the deletion has not gone to far a virgin rep may be able to grant temporary access. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @TriciaP1,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see this about your Email.

Have you tried clearing Cache? Doing a virus scan? Also resetting your password a couple of times? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

TriciaP1
Joining in

Hello

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have tried contacting the Executive Team and they state that there is nothing that they can do.  The suggest that I complete a complaint bia ADR to CISAS.  After speaking to CISAS this afternoon, as I do not pay for any service, I am not able to make a complaint!

I only wanted a few days to access some sentisive e-mails that I can no longer access following the account being 'closed'

What happens about Data Protection and GDPR?  Can anyone else access my e-mail account?

Many thanks

Tricia

Hello

Sorry - not very computer literate.

Do not know how to clear Cashe.

I have McAfee security on my computer - I've just done a virus scan - no virus found.

I am unable to get into my e-mail account - can I change the password another way?

Have also been unable to access e-mail account via Mail2Web.

Thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @TriciaP1,

I am so sorry but the email will now be deleted as it is on a non active broadband account.

This should of happened 90 days after you left us, but we found a number of accounts that were not deleted. We are unable to reenable a deleted email account, if I requested an IT ticket it could end up being rejected due to this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@TriciaP1 no worries about not being particularly computer literate, I know many people who claim to be but actually wouldn’t know how to plug one in!

Unfortunately, you need to work on the assumption that you email has all gone and is not coming back. As mentioned above, use of any of the VM branded email addresses is conditional on you being a current broadband subscriber, and even then the email address needed to be properly associated with your broadband account - something which has tripped up a couple of other posters here.

If you have never been a subscriber, then your email really should have been deleted many years ago as per the Ts & Cs which you agreed to (yes I know, nobody actually reads of bothers about them but  they are a ‘get out of jail free’ card for companies), but VM have been somewhat lax in doing so in a timely fashion but eventually fate catches up with them and they get unceremoniously disabled and then deleted.

What I will do is escalate this thread to the forum team who may, and I stress may, be able to sort you out with temporary access for long enough to copy out anything you particularly want to keep - but it is a bit of a long shot.

Oh and forget the scanning for viruses, that really isn’t going to help in any way, shape or form.

John

oh well scrub the escalation as it seems they have already found the thread - sorry it wasn’t the answer you wanted.

Many thanks Hayley

The e-mail I received from the Executive Team (Callum) states that the account was closed over 6 years ago!!

Can you categorically confirm that no-one can access this account.

Thank You

Trucua

Hi Trucua,

This means as the email has been deleted from our servers by the IT Team, it is inaccessible for use by anyone.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Beth

Beth