cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Delay receiving emails forwarded from 123.reg

agpvm
On our wavelength

(See also thread here: Long-Delay-receiving-emails - 4090443 )

I too am getting long delays, and even the occasional total failure with emails being forwarded from 123-reg to Virgin Media.

It appears that the reason is that Virgin Media have set a Limit of just 20 for the number of simultaneous connections that 123 can have to Virgin Media servers when sending/forwarding emails to them.  123 are very frequently exceeding this limit, causing their connections to be rejected.  Our messages then get delayed and  tried again later, and each time it fails the delay gets even longer.  So often messages aren't getting through for many hours.

Unfortunately Virgin Media are blaming 123 and 123 are blaming Virgin Media, with neither company passing the information on to the people who could actually resolve this.

Virgin Media's Limit of 20 is the default value - but they could increase it.  123 are exceeding the default value but could set their limit to 20 when sending to Virgin Media, or could just not back off for so long.

Here's part of an example of a rejection message:

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on smtp12.mailcore.me.
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.56.11]
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
421 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net
logid=SMTPRC 421 MXIN106 Parallel SessionLimit of 20 for your 94.136.40.149 exceeded. Retry later.
;id=PdHgiN4hD3aVY;sid=PdHgiN4hD3aVY;mta=mx1.tb;d=20191030;t=030028[CET];ipsrc=94.136.40.149;

Alan

134 REPLIES 134

As Virgin Media email is provided as an "added value", and not as a core advertised service, don't expect any quick fixes.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

"As Virgin Media email is provided as an "added value", and not as a core advertised service, don't expect any quick fixes."

That's an attitude that loses customers.

Maybe Karen Walker, Customer Services Director at Virginmedia might be worth contacting.

I'm not sure if I can publish her email here but it is readily available in the public domain with a little help from Google.

Bob

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Grindathotte wrote:

"As Virgin Media email is provided as an "added value", and not as a core advertised service, don't expect any quick fixes."

That's an attitude that loses customers.

If we worked for Virgin Media - we might care about that.  But we don't, so we tell it like it is.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

emailwoes
Tuning in

Black Friday is fun, waiting for the password reset emails for the sites I rarely use, **bleep** SORT THIS OUT!!!!

emailwoes
Tuning in

I'm done, cancelling my Virgin next week.  This has caused me so much chaos that the fast broadband is completely irrelevant if I can't get my emails on it.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is a far less drastic solution. 

Stick with VM as your broadband supplier to benefit from their fast speeds, but switch your email to an ISP independent email supplier.

Lots of free choices available, and if you ever move home to an area not supplied by VM your email won't be impacted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Another method is to set up a new email account with someone like Gmail.

Change your 123reg forwarding rule to point to the new email account instead of your VM account.

Set a rule to foward everything from the new email acount to your VM email address.

Once set up everything will turn up on time in your original mailbox

hth Bob

Just received another one of these:

To verify your email address, please log in here and use the following code.
The code will expire in 30 minutes.

for "in 30 minutes" read "2 hours ago."

Thanks, Bob. That seems to work perfectly.