cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Delay receiving emails forwarded from 123.reg

agpvm
On our wavelength

(See also thread here: Long-Delay-receiving-emails - 4090443 )

I too am getting long delays, and even the occasional total failure with emails being forwarded from 123-reg to Virgin Media.

It appears that the reason is that Virgin Media have set a Limit of just 20 for the number of simultaneous connections that 123 can have to Virgin Media servers when sending/forwarding emails to them.  123 are very frequently exceeding this limit, causing their connections to be rejected.  Our messages then get delayed and  tried again later, and each time it fails the delay gets even longer.  So often messages aren't getting through for many hours.

Unfortunately Virgin Media are blaming 123 and 123 are blaming Virgin Media, with neither company passing the information on to the people who could actually resolve this.

Virgin Media's Limit of 20 is the default value - but they could increase it.  123 are exceeding the default value but could set their limit to 20 when sending to Virgin Media, or could just not back off for so long.

Here's part of an example of a rejection message:

A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 6 hours on the queue on smtp12.mailcore.me.
The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:
host mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.56.11]
Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
421 mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net mx1.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net
logid=SMTPRC 421 MXIN106 Parallel SessionLimit of 20 for your 94.136.40.149 exceeded. Retry later.
;id=PdHgiN4hD3aVY;sid=PdHgiN4hD3aVY;mta=mx1.tb;d=20191030;t=030028[CET];ipsrc=94.136.40.149;

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi all,

Apologies for the delayed response on this one.

I've heard back from our email team. They've doubled the rate limits on some of the IPs coming into our mail exchange, they've advised this should've taken care of a lot of the delays that have been happening.

How have things been over the past few days for everybody? If there are still delays, could you send me some new headers please so I can evidence these if I need to pass anything back to the email team.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

134 REPLIES 134

9fingers
Up to speed

I have been on the 123.reg help chat and as far as that oreator was concerned there is no problem with my account that should delay messages. I pointed him toward a thread on here describing the issue and he said it had to be logged as a problem with 123.

Currently their "raise and isse" page has a 500 server issue error so I've not had any success yet. We all need to keep trying both 123.reg and hope that VM staff see this new post.

PLEASE dont mark any post in this thread as "helpful" or "answer" etc as it will likly mean vm staff will not see it deeming that the issue has been solved.

Bob

@9fingers wrote:

I have been on the 123.reg help chat and as far as that oreator was concerned there is no problem with my account that should delay messages. I pointed him toward a thread on here describing the issue and he said it had to be logged as a problem with 123.

Currently their "raise and isse" page has a 500 server issue error so I've not had any success yet. We all need to keep trying both 123.reg and hope that VM staff see this new post.

PLEASE dont mark any post in this thread as "helpful" or "answer" etc as it will likly mean vm staff will not see it deeming that the issue has been solved.

Bob

Only the original poster can mark posts as "helpful", and it's their choice if they choose to do so.

If you don't want this to be an issue then start your own thread instead of joining an existing one, as previously noted here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Long-Delay-receiving-emails/m-p/4095026#M181705

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

agpvm
On our wavelength

Tell 123 logged with ticket id 191030-000734 5 days ago with 5 follow up messages  (Their reporting page is intermitently reporting 500 but working sometimes (make sure you save your text somewhere before you hit post in case it fails))

I also logged it with VM 4 days ago - still waiting for VM to phone me back
Alan

Anonymous
Not applicable
as9143.net [212.54.56.11]

This is not a VM address as far as i can tell.
as9142 is Hurricane Electric the IP is in Neverlands and belongs ro Ziggo B.V that i think is part of HE.net

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:
as9143.net [212.54.56.11]

This is not a VM address as far as i can tell.
as9142 is Hurricane Electric the IP is in Neverlands and belongs ro Ziggo B.V that i think is part of HE.net

Ziggo operate the virginmedia webmail servers.  They are part of the Liberty Global group.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rats.. i knew i recognized that name but couldn't think why LOL. i didn't know they were part of HE though.

My bad

To all you experienced community members (mainly) please

Is there a regcognised way to leave a virtual "pile of bricks in the road" for VW staff to trip over in order to get a problem resolved?

Raising a problem in the community and then hoping it gets picked up seems very haphazard and often takes ages.

TIA Bob

Anonymous
Not applicable
We will point to this problem where it needs to be. The staff that replies here won't be able to do anything other than pass it on up the ranks. We can poke the right people to get it moving.

I understand the problem and as i've used 123-reg alot i can see how it happens. 123-reg limiting the connection may not be the answer is they are sending 1000's emails a minute they may never catch up.

agpvm
On our wavelength
Poking the right people is what I have been trying to do for days - hopefully you know someway of achieving it!

It seems ridiculous that VM only allow 20 simultaneous connections from 123. 20 was the default for "Postfix" smtp servers in 1999 - you would think things may have progressed since then! Last I knew 123 had 3.5 million clients - so maybe then need a few more connections.
An test email sent to me from VM support at 15:27 took until 5:17am the next day before 123 finally managing to catch up.
Alan