Menu
Highlighted
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Locked out of email

I changed my password and got an email from VM confirming the change and now I can't log-in.    I just get a pop-up screen asking for my log-in.   It's been like it for 48 hours now.   The system doesn't recognise my security questions either.     This is a virgin.net account I have had for over 15 years.   Can anybody help?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked out of email

Before we go into the detail please answer a simple couple of questions. Are you a VM broadband customer and is this e-mail address associated with your broadband account - if you are a VM broadband customer you can check this in My Virginmedia

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Fish66
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Howard - Thank you so much for taking the time to get in touch.    No, I don't have a VM Broadband account.   This is a free address which I have been using for years.    I do have a Virgin mobile account but that is nothing to do with this email address.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

VM have never, and do not know offer a free e-mail service. In every incarnation of virgin.net addresses there was financial consideration involved whether paying for dial-up or via VM's former ADSL service. 

VM are currently culling accounts which do not fit the criteria of of being associated with a current VM broadband account.

That is now the end of your time with a virgin.net address. How you managed to change the password I don't know but the position is clear about these accounts.

It might be possible for you to access for the short-term the account using an e-mail client like Thunderbird but you won't get access to your contact list. VM staff here will only help you close the account. They will not help you recover it.

Not what you wanted to hear but it is nevertheless the case.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Howard.   It was a free account - They used to give out free CD-roms in Virgin Record shops.   I have been using Virgin Webmail ever since.   They sent me a very pleasant email a few days ago when I changed my password.     If the account has been axed then so be it.    But it would help me greatly if I could access my emails over the last few days.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Access via an -mail client in the way I have explained. You won't be able to use web mail:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

Download Thunderbird from www.thunderbird.net. It sets itself up automatically for the VM servers used for e-mail clients and you will have to create an account to read your mail.

And the disks didn't give you free access - VM benefited from a cut of the phone call fees you paid to connect.

VM should have closed these accounts ages ago when they withdrew the dial-up service but they let some slip through. They are trying to make up for that oversight now, much to your chagrin, unfortunately.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again Howard - I'll give that a try.   Fingers crossed.     

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Howard - Would I be able to pay to keep the account active?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No, under no circumstances. VM do not offer such a service. If you want their e-mail you must have a VM broadband account at a VM serviceable address. By the time you got one (minimum about £40 a month) your e-mail address would have been expunged anyway. 

The time for prevarication is over. Get yourself a new e-mail address with anon-ISP related e-mail provider and do your best to recover as much as you can from the debris of your former VM address. There are no other choices or solutions (honest advice from us)

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Fish66
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Howard - I couldn't get into my Virgin account using Thunderbird, just as in the Virgin log-in, it doesn't recognise my password.   I can't change the pass word because it doesn't recognise my security word and DOB either.

0 Kudos