Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of email every few days - ongoing issue

chrispa
Tuning in

Every few days I get locked out of Virgin email and have to reset my password

Is anyone else having this problem?

Its not clear to me whether I need a stronger password (but virgin does not allow special characters so thats probably not the answer) or whether I am being targeted by the, what appears to be very aggressive new anti spam software at Virgin

13 REPLIES 13

albob
Superfast

I suspect it is the new more aggressive SPAM system : but just what you can do about it? - who knows.

do you send out a lot of emails ?

a better option might be to start using a new provider e.g. Gmail ?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@chrispa wrote:

Is anyone else having this problem?

There have been many posts on here from VM customers reporting the same thing so the answer is a most definite "Yes".

"whether I am being targeted by the, what appears to be very aggressive new anti spam software at Virgin"

I don't think you personally are being "targeted" as such, it is more likely that something is regularly causing VM's spam and abuse system to lock your email account.  Have you received any emails or letters from VM advising:

"Our reference: VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware"

and which then goes on to give some fairly general advice about scanning your devices for malware and resetting your password?

Many people have received such a communication but it seems that VM do not provide any more information or explanation than what's in that letter or email.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Chrispa,

Sorry to hear of the ongoing email access issues, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

From looking at the account it does appear this is due to restrictions put in place by our back office team. Have you noticed any unusual activity on your email account recently? The notes indicate that a password reset should resolve the issue but this keeps being applied.

Check the account and let us know if there is anything that may be causing this.

Rob

Thanks for getting back Rob

I have seen no suspecious activity on my emails and have done scans on my system

The accounts are being blocked on both my main and secondary accounts and I am having to rest passowrd every few days

I have had NO suspicious activity emails or any other emails on this issue from VirginMedia

This is getting really tiresome!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chrispa,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue and are having to reset your password very frequently. 

Have you been able to run a Malware check on your devices to ensure that all is in place? When you reset your password, are you changing it to something new and never used before?

Please keep us updated so we can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi yes and yes

I use a new passowrd every time

I have run many malware checks and Nortin 360 is constantly running on my system

I cannot do the strength of password I would like though, as I cannot use more than 10 characters and you do not accept special characters!!

FYI - I have just lost acces yet again and having to reset my password

Hi @chrispa

Thanks for the reply!

If you change the password to something within the requirements - are you still not able to access the email once locked out?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

No

I change the password

I get access for about 3 days, then get locked out again and have to go through another password change

Its just happened again today

We further apologise for this @chrispa.

This could be due to suspicious activity on the account.

Just to confirm, are you changing your password to passwords never used before? Also have you run anti-virus on all devices that use your email?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team