Menu
PeterBeckett
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Locked Account

We have been informed by letter that suspicious activity has been detected on one of our old email accounts and therefore it has been locked.

The account is so old that we have forgotten the security details for it and therefore cannot unlock it. In actual fact we would rather the account was just deleted.

Please advise the best course of action for us to take. The email account is **********@virginmedia.com'

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Locked Account

If it is the primary address, then my understanding is that it can't be deleted.  You probably have to ring up to get it unlocked and then you can take proper steps to secure it against misuse and identity theft issues.

If it is a secondary address, you can delete it yourself at VM website, my.virginmedia.com >> my profile >> manage accounts.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is not a great idea to simply request deletion of an e-mail account that has been compromised. It is far better to try and regain control over that account to see what damage might have been done to other internet activities that are linked to that account/address and put that damage right.

If you are still a VM broadband customer then you can regain control by following the advice here on what do if you have forgotten the account credentials:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

After you have regained control follow this advice to the absolute letter:

But if you no longer get your broadband from VM then you will have to wait here for a VM Forum Team member to pick up this thread. Wait time is upwards of a week at the moment. The Forum Team can get the address deleted.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi PeterBeckett,

As the email address is a secondary account you can manage it yourself. 

As per Howard's advice:

• Go the My Profile tab
  • Click on Manage Accounts
  • Click on View/Change next to the email address
  • Click on Delete this Account

And don't forget to follow the advice provided regarding dealing with a compromised account. If you do have an infected device for instance then there could be concerns for your other email address (& other personal information).

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

PeterBeckett
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply which I found very helpful. I am now using your suggestion to resolve my issue.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What a pleasant change - someone who gives us positive meaningful feedback on an issue which we have addressed. Well done and you get Kudos. Wish everybody did this.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.