cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links in emails not operating

Frankie107
On our wavelength

In my Ntlworld account on my android phone any hyperlinks in emails I receive are ineffective, they do not move to any related item/page/website. The text is not blue as for normal hyperlinks and is inactive when I click on it. Anybody have any ideas why this is the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@用心棒 @Graham_A @Frankie107 

Like Graham, I decided to test this and so I set up an ntlworld.com account in my Gmail android app. Like Graham, the app seemed to display links correctly in my ntlworld emails but then I did  find one email sent to my ntlworld address which had a link which was just displayed as text.

When I checked back in VM webmail account, my Outlook and my Thunderbird email clients that same ntlworld email showed a clickable link which suggests that the problem is with the way the Gmail android app displays the email not the VM / Ntlworld email itself.

Ironically, it was a verification email from Gmail that they sent to my ntlworld email account when I set that ntlworld account up in the web version of my Gmail account.

I copied that link into a new email and sent it to my ntlworld and Gmail accounts. Both those emails displayed the link correctly when viewed in the Gmail android app. That showed there was nothing inherently odd with the link itself.

I then used the Forward option in the Gmail android app to forward the original email from my Gmail android app to my Gmail email account. Strangely enough, that forwarded version of the email displayed the link correctly when viewed in the Gmail android app and the Gmail web app.

I then tried the same exercise but forwarded the original Ntlworld,com email from my Outlook client to my Gmail account. The Gmail android app and web version displayed the first part of the link as a link but most of it appeared as text.

As far as I know the rendering of text such as  https://www.google.com in an email so it is displayed as a clickable link is something that is done by user interface built into the email client, app or webmail service that receives the message.

In the case of the email that I found, my Outlook email client, my Thunderbird email client and the VM webmail service all correctly turned that Gmail url into a clickable link.

So my thought is that there are some circumstances where the Gmail android app fails to recognise a text string as a link and so displays it as text. Possibly that is down to the html used by the original sender when the message is created. That may will be modified when the email is forwarded (rather than being downloaded via POP3 or IMAP)  which would explain why the Gmail android app treated the link differently when I forwarded the email.

However, possibly Frankie107 could see if there is any common factor with the 30% of emails where the app fails to generate clickable links, (other than the emails have all been sent to an ntlworld account).

For example, are they from the same sender or domain? Are they links in newsletters or  marketing emails rather than emails from individuals?

I cannot say why the Gmail app does not always display clickable links. I can only say that the checks I have done today suggest the issue is with the Gmail android app rather than there being an issue with the email account (in the this case ntlworld.com) the emails are sent to.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which email client are you using; be aware some clients will deactivate links if the email is stored in Spam folder?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your response. On my pc I use Outlook as my email client but everything works fine there. On my Android Samsung A6 phone I use the Google email client, Gmail, and with it the hyperlinks are inactive for my ntlworld account but are OK for my other two accounts, Gmail and Outlook.

Prompted by your suggestion I have tried using the Samsung email app and hyperlinks work fine for all three accounts there. However I am now well used to using the Gmail app and would like to continue doing so - any suggestions how to correct this issue?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Frankie107,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issue with your Email.

Can you tell me if you have web safe on? 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi thank you for your interest. No I do not use web safe, I use other protection measures, but how would that affect hyperlinks particularly as it is on my mobile phone that the problem exists?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frankie107 Having read this thread I have just tried adding a blueyonder email address to the Gmail app on my android device.  It was successful and hyperlinks worked so the issue that you are having would not appear to be directly related to the fact that you are using an Ntlworld address (same servers and settings as used by blueyonder and Virginmedia email).

I can't see any settings in the Gmail app that would block hyperlinks completely but there is a setting under general settings which determines whether the link opens in the  Gmail app or in your default browser.  Maybe worth trying the different options to see if that makes a difference.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for that I will try it but without too much hope I'm afraid.

I have forwarded emails to my Gmail account and opened them in the gmail app and the links work there so in some way it must to do with the ntlworld address rather than the Gmail app.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frankie107  Another long shot.  What server settings are you using for the Ntlworld email address in the Gmail app?  They should be as set out in this post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider copying and pasting the following text into an email to the problem account and then post a screenshot just of the received message body here:

Example link can be found here

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@用心棒 thank you. I have pasted the text into an email and sent it to myself and opened it on my phone. The link on this occasion works OK.

I should have said at the beginning of this conversation that on my phone some links do work but only about 30% of them and I cannot find why some work and others do not.