cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+++Known Issue+++ Email Disruption - F010434911

ModTeam

Hi there,

We're aware some customers are experiencing difficulties with our email service as follows:

You might find that your NTL/Blueyonder & Virgin Media Mail isn't working right now. We are sorry and our engineers are working to fix this right now. We are sorry about this, our engineers are looking at fixing this as soon as possible.

You can get updates on known service issues in your area here: https://virg.in/service or by callng 0800 561 0061.

Regards,

101 REPLIES 101

Just out of interest, is everyone here who is having problems using a legacy email domain (e.g. ntlworld or blueyonder)?  I wonder if VM are trying to retire these older accounts to make their admin simpler?  I'd love to change to an alternative email address but having had it for >20 years it's so fundamental to everything I do that the thought of having to change it is alarming!  It's one of the reasons I've stayed with VM all this time...

KamN396
On our wavelength

I have just been asked to verify my password for the imap ntlworld.com email server,  however after putting in the password it fails to log in to the system.  Does anyone know if the server I'd down as I've never been asked to verify my password before (well over the last few years) so I was wondering what has happened now to be asking me to verify the password, but then failing to gain access.

TIA

Kam

I've had the same with my blueyonder email on phone and laptop since 8.05 this morning

Mamba
On our wavelength

Yes, mine is NTL too. Error message claims   <Login to server pop3.virginmedia.com with username XXX@ntlworld.com failed>

Happened today, persistent, still broken

Another family account with @virginmedia.com is ok.  Does look like we [NTL] are being targeted - again. The last incident in November 2022 - the 'Roger/Philip hack of 2022' - just seemed to fizzle away.  ICO were not interested.  Virgin came up with a pap excuse.

We have one ntl email address and two virginmedia email addresses.  Today the ntl one is working fine, one of the virginmedia addresses is working one, but the second one is not working at all!  So, not just old legacy accounts.  So annoying.  I have changed the password on the one not working and still nothing.  What to do next!  we use it for just about everything and have had no emails to that address all day today.

Adz1976
Tuning in

NTL emails have not been working for the last two weeks on both PC (Outlook) or Iphone (Apple Mail).

Incoming mail is fine but outgoing not working.

Just pops up with Username & password box.

Also says SMTP server not responding.

I tried deleting email account on PC to add it again but now it will not get passed username & password box, so the email wizard can not complete install.

So now I can't even receive emails on PC.

This is becoming a real issue !!

Not sure why it is taking over two weeks to solve this issue ??

Why have changes been made to the SMTP Server ?

Thanks

Adam

ahmurray
On our wavelength

I called Virgin Media to get some tech support on this issue.  First line were unable to help, so they put me through to second line.  The guy there was very dismissive and said if I could send mail via webmail then the problem must be with my email client on my PC and not VM.  He put me through to the "gadget rescue" team who were then trying to upsell me their service for a £20 "setup" fee and an ongoing £5 a month. 

They said I wouldn't be charged if they couldn't fix the issue, or if it turned out to be a VM fault, so I reluctantly agreed to go ahead.  The guy then connected to my PC and spent around an hour trying various options but without success.  He claimed it must be a Windows Mail issue, so I then pointed out the other email client (eM Client) that I had downloaded and setup which also didn't work.  He checked this out, and also downloaded a third email client (Thunderbird), none of which worked. 

After all that he concluded that the issue was in fact with the VM email servers and SMTP service, (potentially an expired certificate based on the diagnostic logs), but was unable to help further and said I'd need to call back to VM tech support with this information.  So a waste of around 1.5 hours but at least it has proved there is a VM issue. 

I know there are usually moderators from VM on this forum who have stepped in before to assist, is anyone monitoring this thread who might be willing and able to escalate or help out?

Mamba
On our wavelength

@ahmurray - Thanks, that is helpful to know.  

I managed yesterday to reset my NTL operation by logging in here to the Community, then opening up a new tab to the   mail2.virginmedia.com   app (v helpfully suggested by another user above, thanks)  into which I seemed to be auto logged!  Managed to do the pw reset and get into Webmail to check/admin/clear out messages.  Touch wood 😁, 'normal' web client Thunderbird seems to be still ok today on the new pw. 

There was a message waiting for me from VM that said they had "detected abnormal activity and had locked the account and pw should be reset".  God knows what that was!  Not much good emailing me that on a locked account though, was there??!!

Good luck peeps!!

I’m still unable to get or send emails. Been like this since Sunday. I can’t reset my password as it’s rejecting my birthdate and security question. I literally have everything on that address, including my daughter’s consultants. I’ve tweeted VM, but keep getting the same responses about resetting password. It’s driving me crazy now. 

I’m still unable to get or send emails. Been like this since Sunday. I can’t reset my password as it’s rejecting my birthdate and security question. I literally have everything on that address, including my daughter’s consultants. I’ve tweeted VM, but keep getting the same responses about resetting password. It’s driving me crazy now. 
 I’ve now been told to. WhatsApp? 🤷‍♀️ I have no knowledge of WhatsApp.