cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping virgin email but moving accounts

C9nfused
Joining in

Hi, my husband and I are separating and trying to work out what to do re email accounts. 

We have a virgin media contract in my ex's name and both have our own email addresses as part of that. 

I have now taken out my own virgin media contract and would like my email address to move across. 

If anyone could please advise me how to do this I would be very grateful. I don't really want to have to have a new email address. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@C9nfused I'm afraid that it isn't possible to do that with the email address that you use.  Both the email addresses belong to your ex's account as he is the account holder.  Email addresses cannot be move individually between Virgin Media broadband accounts.  Should your ex decide to close his VM broadband account then the email addresses will be closed down 90 days after the service ceases.  Whilst the account remains open he has full control over the email address that you currently use and he could close it at any time or change the password on the account.

You best move is to create a new email address with one of the free email providers such as Gmail or MS Outlook. These are not tied to any specific broadband account. Do this as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to inform your contacts and change any log in accounts that are currently tied to the virgin email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@C9nfused I'm afraid that it isn't possible to do that with the email address that you use.  Both the email addresses belong to your ex's account as he is the account holder.  Email addresses cannot be move individually between Virgin Media broadband accounts.  Should your ex decide to close his VM broadband account then the email addresses will be closed down 90 days after the service ceases.  Whilst the account remains open he has full control over the email address that you currently use and he could close it at any time or change the password on the account.

You best move is to create a new email address with one of the free email providers such as Gmail or MS Outlook. These are not tied to any specific broadband account. Do this as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to inform your contacts and change any log in accounts that are currently tied to the virgin email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@C9nfused wrote:

We have a virgin media contract in my ex's name and both have our own email addresses as part of that. 

I admire how organised you are in what must be a very stressful time.

Rest of post deleted - .Graham has said it all,

I hope everything, (not just the email address issue)  works out well for you and your ex.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you both, that's what I suspected, how frustrating but at least I know for sure now that there isn't an easier way I could be doing this. I appreciate the replies. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi C9nfused, thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately what has been advised above is correct - we cannot move/transfer individual email addresses. We can only transfer all of the email addresses from an account at the same time - and we would need to complete security checks with the previous account holder and get their permission to go ahead with this as well. 

If it's something you'd still like to go ahead with based on the above, please let us know and we'll get in touch via PM to complete security-checks and proceed with the transfer. 

Tom