cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping email address if leaving

GLD43
Joining in

I am about to close my virgin media account but want to keep my email address. From looking at previous posts on this topic here this was not looking hopeful but I have just been told by virgin media advisor they think my email will remain as I am keeping my virgin mobile accounts. 
I would like to be certain this is the case before I cancel. Can anyone advise or have experience of this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GLD43  I'm afraid that the advisor has given you duff information.  A VM broadband account is required for continued use of their email service.  A Virgin mobile account alone is not sufficient.

Once your VM broadband account is closed you should get 90 days use of the email address before it is closed down.

You may have read posts here showing that the email address continues beyond 90 days but you should not rely on that happening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GLD43  I'm afraid that the advisor has given you duff information.  A VM broadband account is required for continued use of their email service.  A Virgin mobile account alone is not sufficient.

Once your VM broadband account is closed you should get 90 days use of the email address before it is closed down.

You may have read posts here showing that the email address continues beyond 90 days but you should not rely on that happening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks for the reply. Sadly that is what I thought. Any easy guides on how to import my emails to another account so I can save them? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One way would be to keep a backup via an offline folder using an email client such as Thunderbird.  Or you could use a third party backup process an example of which is set out in this archived post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...