cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping email address if leaving

growler222
Joining in

What is the current situation regarding keeping your Blue Yonder email address if you leave Virgin completely?  Is it any different if you keep the tv service? Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

rghnaish
Tuning in

Hi

is this still current advice?

I am paying £80 a month for virgin media broadband and TV and want to leave since now can get fibre direct to home. New customers only pay about a quarter of this per month for the same service. 
But I’m concerned about losing my email addresses. I am happy to pay some monthly fee to maintain my email address though. 

'I am happy to pay some monthly fee to maintain my email address though'

there is no monthly or any other fee option. virgin are winding down their email service now anyway. new customers are not being offered them. far more alternatives out there now than when ISP's used an email address as a selling point back in the day.

'New customers.....'

always get the better deals. it's the way business works.

Yes it’s called price walking and it has recently been banned by law in the insurance industry. Broadband services will be next.

PS Is there a confirmation for your beliefs on Virginmedia website?

2021 Ofcom regulator report:

Actions that protect customers from high out-of-contract prices
We have already introduced new rules to ensure broadband customers are told when their contract is coming to an end and are shown the best deals available. Out-of-contract customers will also be given reminders and shown their providers’ best deals every year. We believe this intervention, which came into force in February 2020, will help many customers get better deals. We will monitor their impact closely.
We have secured commitments from all major providers to conduct price reviews for their vulnerable customers, including providing discounts that don't require customers to engage. We estimate that these commitments, along with other pricing changes, could ultimately benefit around one million potentially vulnerable out-of-contract customers, by an average of around £70 each. This could ultimately amount to support of over £70m per year for these customers.
We welcome revisions made by providers to their pricing policies, which could ultimately benefit out-of-contract customers by over £270m per year. These changes include reducing the difference between out-of-contract and new customer prices and free upgrades.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From past topics about this, IIRC, some providers agreed to offer new/existing customers access to the same pricing but VM did not offer to do so.

VM do send out package reminders every year, as per OFCOM requirements, if customers are out of contract which is supposed to prompt customers into shopping around to renew.

VM's email service has been in terminal decline for a long time and, as already suggested by jamesofmerton, is highly likely to be on its way to being wound up altogether. It's a bit of a slow process to migrate email accounts but well worth doing in the end to be able to have a reliable and functional email service with the added benefit of being able to switch broadband providers more easily in the future.

Sage advice thanks

just to follow up. I gave Virginmedia a call and they offered my another 18 month contract at a more reasonable cost

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI rghnaish, 

Thank you for updating your thread, glad to hear you grabbed a deal best suited for you.

Zoie