Menu
techweb
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Keep e-mail address after leaving virgin beyond 90 days

Hi,

I am a Virgin customer and so is one of my friends...

They are having to leave Virgin as a result of temporarily moving to another house whilst they wait for a new one to be built. The temporary house does not have Virgin available so they stand to lose an e-mail address they've had for many years and incidentally also use for business.

Is there any way they can keep this e-mail address or have mail forwarded? Even if there was a charge for this and / or it was for a finite period, say 12 months?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep e-mail address after leaving virgin beyond 90 days

No - after 90 days the e-mail address and contents should be deleted from VM's systems and any forwarding set up will cease. VM do not offer the services you describe. Just shows the folly of relying on ISP linked e-mail and especially shows the folly of using a residential service for business use which is specifically forbidden by VM's terms of service unless that use is incidental to residential use. Business users should have their own domain names and e-mail hosting which is fully portable and does not depend on the ISP used.. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

techweb
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I understand all those points fully and myself do not rely on ISP e-mail.

My friends business use was incidental and frankly they were never aware of this issue as many non technical minded people wouldn't be.

Just seeing if there was a solution... It seems not.

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They could continue to pay for the broadband to remain at the house they are leaving!  Not sure that is wise, of course.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DABhand
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:

...folly of using a residential service for business use which is specifically forbidden by VM's terms of service unless that use is incidental to residential use. Business users should have their own domain names and e-mail hosting which is fully portable and does not depend on the ISP used.. 

VM can cry about it all they want, but they cannot force businesses to use a business account, it just means if any loss of business occurs while using that email outside of a business account means VM are not liable to pay damages through a loss of service. Also they can say it is forbidden but there is no law that states VM can force people off residential accounts for using it for business communication purposes.

Just sayin'

Majide!
0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

They could continue to pay for the broadband to remain at the house they are leaving!  Not sure that is wise, of course.

Maybe a mobile account, could maybe keep an email alive. I dunno - I am just thinking out loud lol

Majide!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

a mobile account can't have email. It has to be a broadband account.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was just thinking out loud as said, wondering if the email used to sign into the mobile account could potentially keep it alive lol

But yeah obviously not 😕

Majide!
0 Kudos