Menu
Anthe
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Issues with secondary email account

So as of Tuesday when I try and sign in on laptop I am forced to give my primary email address. I have cleared browser history passwords etc but still same problem . I really don’t use my primary address it’s just for virgin stuff do this is very annoying- any ideas ?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Issues with secondary email account

@Anthe wrote:

So as of Tuesday when I try and sign in on laptop I am forced to give my primary email address. I have cleared browser history passwords etc but still same problem

I am intrigued what you mean by "forced to give my primary email address".

I assume you are trying to sign in to the account using this page.  https://www.virginmedia.com/email

vm email sign in.jpg

So what is stopping you from typing your secondary mail address and password in to the boxes even if your secondary address is not displayed in the drop down box?

And if you are doing that already, what error message are you seeing?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Anthe
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes exactly that page, but when I entered secondary email account name it refused to accept it, was left with an orange cross and a message above saying that I had to use the account that I first registered with.  It now seems to have cleared itself and is letting me input the secondary email address. Ive never seen this before , and I was inputting the correct email address.  Hopefully what ever was happening has now cleared.  I'll let you know if it happens again?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This issue was almost certainly caused by a delay in updating VM's systems that a new e-mail address had been created. The process normally takes only a few minutes but can take longer and sometimes it can fail altogether which causes no end of issues. Anthe - you should check that the new secondary address appears in your My Virginmedia account.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Anthe wrote:

It now seems to have cleared itself and is letting me input the secondary email address. Ive never seen this before , and I was inputting the correct email address.  Hopefully what ever was happening has now cleared.  I'll let you know if it happens again?

I'm glad you are up and running again. Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Smiley Happy

With all due respect I am not entirely convinced by HowardML's suggestion that it was caused by a delay / glitch in the new account creation process. The wording of your first post intimates that you have been using this email address for some time. You also made no mention that you had only just set up the secondary account.

Anyway, it's fixed which is all that matters. If it happens again come back here.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can be wrong sometimes, can't I?

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Anthe
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

@Anthe wrote:

It now seems to have cleared itself and is letting me input the secondary email address. Ive never seen this before , and I was inputting the correct email address.  Hopefully what ever was happening has now cleared.  I'll let you know if it happens again?

I'm glad you are up and running again. Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Smiley Happy

With all due respect I am not entirely convinced by HowardML's suggestion that it was caused by a delay / glitch in the new account creation process. The wording of your first post intimates that you have been using this email address for some time. You also made no mention that you had only just set up the secondary account.

Anyway, it's fixed which is all that matters. If it happens again come back here.

Coenoby

You are quite right, the email address has been in use for a couple of years at least!  However the glitch seems to have gone so fingers crossed it stays that way. thanks

Anthe
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

thanks but actually the address has been in use for some time, it was as if the system had suddenly forgotten it completely - very weird.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML wrote:
I can be wrong sometimes, can't I?

I would never presume to say that you are wrong Smiley Surprised

I only said that I was not convinced by your suggestion. Smiley Happy

In all seriousness though it does beg the question why in Anthe's words "it was as if the system had suddenly forgotten it completely"?

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes it does , but as you are fond of saying it is probably better not to use VM's  web mail or their e-mail at all for that matter because the system is so flaky and there are other free services around that are so much more reliable. I know, I use one of them. We'd be unlikely ever to get to the bottom of this "glitch".

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos