cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this email real or not? From email@em.virginmedia.com

bethanyemma
Joining in

Hi,

I received an email from email@em.virginmedia.com saying that I was selected to try Virgin's new WiFi Pods?

The email looks legitimate, but I feel like you can never be too careful with emails that say you're randomly in luck about something 😛 

Does anyone know if this is legitimate or not please? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Yes it is legit. I've just signed up myself. And if you delay too long you'll be too late. I think the wording is unfortunate - to say the least because of the impression it gives (too much like many of the scams that are around) but typical of corporate language these days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Yes it is legit. I've just signed up myself. And if you delay too long you'll be too late. I think the wording is unfortunate - to say the least because of the impression it gives (too much like many of the scams that are around) but typical of corporate language these days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I received the 'invitation' at 2:37pm - by 3:45 the invitation was closed.

Either Virgin Media had very few places available, or there are a huge number of people who trusted an email that looked for all the world like a scam. - Took me an hour to verify its legitimacy!

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
It is such a pity that natural and understandable suspicion about the authenticity of mail leads to this kind of thing. It has always been the case that trials with limited numbers are over-subscribed more quickly than you (or even VM) might imagine. Sorry you lost out

Yup, I'm sorry too - But glad that I carried out my due diligence on what looked for al the world to be a scam.

Makes you wonder about how many people must have just accepted that it was genuine without checking first ! As it is, the 'invitation' became just another piece of spam!

AlexanderMTTH
Superfast
Thank you! 🙂 I had the same question but it took me to the genuine website.
I've read an article from OfCom as, by 2025, about 50% of all calls and e-mail will be scam/spam.
Thanks and regards,
Alexander

george301259
Tuning in

Given the GDPR (or more appropriately the UK Data Protection Act 2018) that has led to some massive fines, it could be in the interest of large companies to cover up a hack.

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect in May 2018. The GDPR allows the EU’s Data Protection Authorities to issue fines of up to €20 million ($24.1 million) or 4% of annual global turnover (whichever is higher).

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's more in corporate interests to report an incident rather than cover it up.  Cooperation with the authorities can reduce the financial penalties.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi bethanyemma, thanks for posting.

As advised above already the email is probably genuine it's one we're aware of being sent out recently - but if you're ever unsure it's always best to err on the side of caution and check with us directly, either here on the forum or with a member of staff on the contact details provided here: virg.in/VMcontact

If you have any issues claiming the Pods please let us know.

Tom

I have also received an email today from email@em.virginmedia.com - Virgin sent it to my Spam folder (as I would expect). I'm surprised that the consensus seems to be that it's a genuine email address.

The email says I am "out of contract" and suggest a more expensive package. How can I be out of contract after about 20 years? I'm very dubious about it (allthough it does correctly quote all my package details, including the amount).

Can it really be genuine?