Menu
acamp1962
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is my Virgin e-mail still usable when I stop my contract?

My contract with Virgin is due to end May 17th as I'm moving abroad. I'm wondering whether my Virgin e-mail will still be available once the contract is ended and how this will impact me being able to access other websites that use this e-mail, for example Facebook, eBay and PayPal. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is my Virgin e-mail still usable when I stop my contract?

The simple answer is "no" it will expire in 90 days.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cancel

Start now to set up an email that is not linked to an ISP, some are free, others have a cost but give extra benefits!  Then you can gradually move all your email links to the new address over the 90 days period of grace.  Backup all your emails and contacts that you wish to keep.

When you are ready - double check VM HAVE deleted the address from their system - addresses can linger on for years and cause you grief or financial stress if a hacker breaks into your email address.  Use the site mailtester.com to be sure it is inactive and come back here to complain if it is active!

Then enjoy the freedom of being able to change your ISP without worrying about your email address!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
acamp1962
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Perfectly explained. Thank you so much for your help.

Also, should I be changing my e-mail address for other websites that use the Virgin e-mail? Do you know what will happen if I don't?

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to amend it anyplace that contacts you on your virgin email, or uses it as a username.  ASAP.

A former customer came here distraught that Dropbox would not help her access her files there, as she could not receive emails any longer.  VM can't help former customers, and certainly can't resurrect a deleted email address.  Other people have problems when their paypal or amazon type accounts are hijacked, or job interview invitations or payslips are sent into a black hole.

I recommend reviewing your settings in Virgin Media web mail to stop spam filtering, and forward ALL emails to your new address.  Then as they come in, you'll probably see that the spam is reliably filtered by the new service, and you can deal with your contacts in your own good time.  Just do a few each day and you should be able to manage it!  It will be a good exercise to secure your personal information with new passwords, too - get a password manager like KeePass if you don't already have one.  And it's a handy excuse to unsubscribe from things that waste your time.

Enjoy your new location!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Be aware that the correct website to obtain KeePass is https://keepass.info

FYI: Site Promoting KeePass Password Manager Pushes Malware

0 Kudos