cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is email account settings password same as virginmedia one

makemray
On our wavelength

Hello, I have started to have problems not receiving emails from my secondary email address.  I can receive emails from my primary address and google mail. 

Two questions,  1. should my email account settings password be the same as the virginmedia access password ?

In my email account settings there is an option for unified mail. Should this option be chosen ? 

Or can anyone suggest a reason I am having issues. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@makemray wrote:

Two questions,  1. should my email account settings password be the same as the virginmedia access password ?

If the email account is the primary email address on your broadband account, then yes the password will be the same as the one you use to access your "My Virgin Media" account.

However, if the email is a secondary email account then it will have its own password.  The proviso is that when you set up that secondary email account you might have specified the same password as the one you use for your primary account. Only you will know that.

In my email account settings there is an option for unified mail. Should this option be chosen ? 

You can if it want to but it will not solve your problem. Ticking the Unified Mail box in settings simply means that all the email messages from the various email accounts you have set up in your webmail account (so in your case your primary VM account, your Gmail/Google Mail and the secondary email account you are having problems with) will all be displayed in a single "Unified Mail" folder. It does not affect the way they are downloaded, just how they are displayed,

A bit more information is needed so if you have not done so already, it would be worth trying to sign into the secondary email account directly. That will enable you to check whether you are using the right password and if you get an error message it will give a clue as to why the emails are not downloading.

Enter the secondary address and what you think the password is here : https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and post back with how you get on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@makemray wrote:

If the email account is the primary email address on your broadband account, then yes the password will be the same as the one you use to access your "My Virgin Media" account.

However, if the email is a secondary email account then it will have its own password.  The proviso is that when you set up that secondary email account you might have specified the same password as the one you use for your primary account. Only you will know that.

You can if it want to but it will not solve your problem. Ticking the Unified Mail box in settings simply means that all the email messages from the various email accounts you have set up in your webmail account (so in your case your primary VM account, your Gmail/Google Mail and the secondary email account you are having problems with) will all be displayed in a single "Unified Mail" folder. It does not affect the way they are downloaded, just how they are displayed,

A bit more information is needed so if you have not done so already, it would be worth trying to sign into the secondary email account directly. That will enable you to check whether you are using the right password and if you get an error message it will give a clue as to why the emails are not downloading.

Enter the secondary address and what you think the password is here : https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and post back with how you get on.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

makemray
On our wavelength

Thank you very much for your answers to my questions.  It has helped with regard to my understanding.

However, I think my issue is that while I called it a secondary email address it was not a NTL or Virginmedia address. I recall now that I generated it through a subscribed website that I used for business. Although I stopped subscribing to that website it remained active and I could access it and also until a couple of days ago the domain email I used that was linked to my business was active. 

I have since found out that the website company was sold to another company and it seems that after a long period of time they have stopped my access to both website and email address. I guess the purpose is to get me back subscribing. However, I await a response to an email I have sent them to clarify this. 

Thanks again for your assistance, there was other information there that was useful to me. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@makemray wrote:

Thanks again for your assistance, there was other information there that was useful to me. 

Thanks for the update.👍 I am glad that my post was useful.
Coenoby