cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is cloud-security .net safe ?

craibh
On our wavelength

A short time ago I sent an email to an address to which I often send emails,  and from which I often receive emails- in each case, so far, without any difficulties.

This time I  received an email from Mail Delivery System <postmaster@virginmedia.com>telling that :-

"host mx101.everycloudtech.com [94.100.132.100]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

554 5.5.4 Your IP 212.54.57.96 address has a bad reputation. To unblock visit http://cloud-security.net/unblock?"

According to a Google search that IP is based in the  Netherlands.I clicked on that link to the Cloud-security.net website and it wanted certain details from me- name, email address etc and my IP address.I am reluctant to give that information as I know nothing about that organisation.Has anyone else experienced this and Is it safe to do so ?

Many thanks.

Craibh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh wrote:

554 5.5.4 Your IP 212.54.57.96 address has a bad reputation. To unblock visit http://cloud-security.net/unblock?"

According to a Google search that IP is based in the  Netherlands

The Virgin Media email service is actually operated by a Netherlands based company called Ziggo who, like Virgin Media, are also part of the Liberty Globe multinational telecommunications giant.

That server, 212.54.57.96, is one of their email servers and so it is Virgin Media / Ziggo / Liberty Global who are being blocked not you. Therefore it needs VM / Ziggo to contact the relevant organisation to get their server removed from the spam filter rather than you personally.

I have escalated this thread to the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) for them to take this up. One of them will probably contact you via this thread shortly for more information.

In the meantime that server may already have been delisted (or soon will be) so it is worth trying to send that email again. Also, I understand that VM / Ziggo use a number of different email servers so the next time you try to send your outgoing email it may be routed through a different VM / Ziggo server that has not been flagged as having a bad reputation.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh wrote:

According to a Google search that IP is based in the  Netherlands

The Virgin Media email service is actually operated by a Netherlands based company called Ziggo who, like Virgin Media, are also part of the Liberty Globe multinational telecommunications giant.

That server, 212.54.57.96, is one of their email servers and so it is Virgin Media / Ziggo / Liberty Global who are being blocked not you. Therefore it needs VM / Ziggo to contact the relevant organisation to get their server removed from the spam filter rather than you personally.

I have escalated this thread to the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) for them to take this up. One of them will probably contact you via this thread shortly for more information.

In the meantime that server may already have been delisted (or soon will be) so it is worth trying to send that email again. Also, I understand that VM / Ziggo use a number of different email servers so the next time you try to send your outgoing email it may be routed through a different VM / Ziggo server that has not been flagged as having a bad reputation.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

craibh
On our wavelength

Coenoby,

Many thanks.Most helpful. In fact I used a different email address- also one of Ntlworld's - to resend the message at 15.16 and it went through without difficulty.That was about 3 hours after my initial attempt.It is rather disconcerting that a Virgin  IP was considered to be undesireable?

Criabh

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @craibh, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

Thanks for raising this to us, I can certainly understand you wanting to have this checked before sending any information.

I have raised this with our support team to check this, as soon as I have a reply from them I will post back on this thread.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@craibh wrote:

Many thanks.Most helpful. In fact I used a different email address- also one of Ntlworld's - to resend the message at 15.16 and it went through without difficulty.That was about 3 hours after my initial attempt.

Thanks for that update and I'm pleased to hear that you have managed to send your email ok, As I said, that could be because it went via a different (unblocked) VM email server or it could be because the blocked server has now been removed from the spam filter or blocklist.

"It is rather disconcerting that a Virgin  IP was considered to be undesireable?"

It does happen from time to time but it does seem to get resolved pretty quickly.

Coenoby

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @craibh, thank you for your patience with this. I have heard back from the support team who have advised that In order to investigate this incident further and perform an accurate trace, we require you to provide us with the full headers and content of the email in question in order to check the origin.

You may find details of how to retrieve email headers in the relevant help file of your email client or at the following link:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Or:

http://www.haltabuse.org/help/headers/index.shtml *

Make sure you copy and paste the entirety of the message headers in your report.

Only electronically generated details can be accepted.

Once you have this information, can you please send it over on a PM to me so I can then pass this onto the team for further investigation?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

craibh
On our wavelength

Nathan,

I am a little confused as the Virgin site only has copies of emails sent from my phone and not from my PC.I have a  copy of the email which I sent and I think it includes headders and footers- but I was not certain if this reply would be treated as a PM.Could you please tell me how to send you a PM and I shall send you what I have.Many thanks.

Craibh

craibh
On our wavelength

WHAT IS UP WITH VIRGIN

I am having the same problem again.Here is the message that I got in response to one of the several emails which were not delivered:-

"host mx101.everycloudtech.com [83.246.65.100]

554 5.5.4 Your IP 212.54.57.97 address has a bad reputation."

I have tried ntlworld and virginmail addresses and the problem is the same.This is absolutely intollerable- the Virgin system is being rejected, regularly, by a reputable security company.Why would one continue as a Virgin customer if this happens again and again?

THIS NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED FOR GOOD IMMEDIATELY

Craibh

Hi craibh 

I can see you have been in a private message conversation with Nathan.

If you could please respond to him directly he will be bale to advise further for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide