Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Is Captcha Back?

Don’t know about  others - but since VM have introduced the new log-in screen a short while ago.  I see that the dreaded Captcha pictures have returned – to my screen anyway.

The notes I have show that Captcha was last introduced back in 2015 and then withdrawn with the following message from VM:-

We take security of your account extremely seriously. That’s why we have recently added some new security measures to further protect your My Virgin Media account. Following feedback from our customers, in particular feedback from the online help and support community, it has become clear that this did not translate into a good customer experience.  

We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

As a result - the additional login requirements have now been removed from our site. 

Rest assured we have also implemented additional security measures – these new measures will be not visible to you, but will be working in the background 

So I ask why have these additional security measures (Captcha) been re-instated? Surely there must be something better by now?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is Captcha Back?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I will be asking one of my colleagues for a little more information around this tomorrow, once I have the information I will come back to you.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Tony_ wrote:

Don’t know about  others - but since VM have introduced the new log-in screen a short while ago.  I see that the dreaded Captcha pictures have returned – to my screen anyway.

The notes I have show that Captcha was last introduced back in 2015 and then withdrawn with the following message from VM:-

We take security of your account extremely seriously. That’s why we have recently added some new security measures to further protect your My Virgin Media account. Following feedback from our customers, in particular feedback from the online help and support community, it has become clear that this did not translate into a good customer experience.  

We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

As a result - the additional login requirements have now been removed from our site. 

Rest assured we have also implemented additional security measures – these new measures will be not visible to you, but will be working in the background 

So I ask why have these additional security measures (Captcha) been re-instated? Surely there must be something better by now?

Whilst you wait for Virgin Media to respond…

ReCaptcha has been in use for a good while and has likely gone unnoticed because none of  behaviours required to trigger it were present however  since the new sign in I have also noticed ReCaptcha challenges have become the norm; IMHO it is unlikely user behaviour is responsible for this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I could grudgingly approve the use of Captcha if it was invoked by some specific sequence of unusual log-in  activity, but not to be the norm every time I log in. But…

I use on-line banking….

I use on-line access to my credit card…

I use on-line access to  investment sites…..

All of these sites require high levels of security, accessed by passcodes, passwords etc. All of these sites seem to work safely and securely with their own security software functions.

NONE of these sites need the additional security of Captcha ! (Or if they do use it - then I have not been aware of it or managed to invoke it).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Tony_ wrote:

I use on-line banking….I use on-line access to my credit card…I use on-line access to  investment sites…..

NONE of these sites need the additional security of Captcha ! (Or if they do use it - then I have not been aware of it or managed to invoke it).

Perhaps the reason is:

All of these sites require high levels of security, accessed by passcodes, passwords etc. All of these sites seem to work safely and securely with their own security software functions.

while VM's security consists of  a 10 character password containing just letters and numbers  and..................er...............that's it. 😮

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

But there are ...or at least were ....(according to VM)...other additional security measures that were taken... to replace Captcha. ....

"Rest assured we have also implemented additional security measures – these new measures will be not visible to you, but will be working in the background ...."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Tony_ wrote:

But there are ...or at least were ....(according to VM)...other additional security measures that were taken... to replace Captcha. ....

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.  I just have a thing about how insecure VM's webmail is. Sorry.

To be fair of course, Captcha is simply intended to determine whether the user is human rather than a bot. So it is addressing a different aspect of security to that provided by secure passwords, passcodes or other forms of 2 Factor Authentication.

I think that VM's statement that they 'implemented additional security measures – these new measures will be not visible to you, but will be working in the background' probably referred to the improvements that Google have made to their Captcha product so that much stronger verification occurs in the background. Ideally it only presents a challenge when those checks show a very strong likelihood that it is dealing with a bot not a human.

As you said in your original post, it may well be that something about the new VM sign in screen or process triggers the Captcha  challenge more often than it should.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I await with trepidation  and anticipation any response from the forum team.

I note that I do not need to prove I am not a robot when I log in here to the “VM community”.

That must prove something.

No idea what!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Oh, I thought I was being persecuted because I too got the spawn-of-the-devil Captcha when I tried to log into my account (not email) in this morning. Why any decent web site uses this much-derided and discredited evil is beyond me.

I am now in the position that I can't check my account. The pictures never work (and why is everyone driving on the wrong side of the road) and the sound is unintelligible.

I do wish tech staff would stop messing around just because they can. Please get rid of this unnecessary piece of crap.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Finally managed to sign in to account, only took 6 crosswalks (crosswalk?), 6 chimneys and 6 bridges.

Absolutely ridiculous