Menu
dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent send receive error Outlook 2010 IMAP

Hi there,

I get an intermittent send/receive error in outlook 2010 when syncing my ntlworld account, which is getting very annoying. If i restart outlook once or twice it then works. I admit I have a large amount of subfolders to synchronise.

My settings are:

incoming: imap.virginmedia.com

outgoing: smtp.virginmedia.com

incmoing server imap port: 993 with SSL

outgoing server smtp port: 465 with SSL

Could it be my connection drops out? is this testable?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent send receive error Outlook 2010 IMAP

When the problem next occurs:

• enable logging to see if that can help identify the cause
  • take a screenshot of the error message and post here if further help is required
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dazseaton 

This is a fairly long-standing MS Outlook issue. If logging as suggested by 用心棒 above doesn’t provide an answer – try this - 

If you put “Outlook 2010 hangs on sync folders” into Google you get quite a few answers. This one -

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/6dca06f9-3c93-4b18-be1c-accd9f6be71d/fix-fo...

has attempted to collate the best answer from multiple sources.

Note that you are correctly using port 465 for VM email and not the (more common) 587 per the suggested solution. 

Also - ensure that your send/receive time interval in Outlook is not too short (under 30 mins). If too short, a new send/receive sync cycle can attempt to start before the last one finishes, especially if there is a lot to sync and/or your internet connection is a bit slow – with unpredictable results.

dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link. That seems to have fixed the problem. Cheers.
0 Kudos
dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm still getting outlook disconnecting regularly.

I installed Mozilla Thunderbird and regurlary get the error message: "login to server imap.virginmedia.com with username ..... (all four of my accounts) failed".

If I run it again it connects. Settings same as outlook in above message. this is infuriating!!!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You first reported an Outlook problem in March 2018 when there was an SMTP server problem which affected you and a number of others. A server fix seems to have solved the problem on 21/03/2018 – yes/no?

You next reported an Outlook connection issue in Nov 2018. Nobody else was reporting this at that time. Did everything work OK between March and November? You said in November that the solution I had proposed seemed to work. How long did it last – a day, a week, a month?

You now say (Feb 2019) that it is again an issue and that you have tried Thunderbird also.

Question 1 – can you elaborate on this statement -”I admit I have a large amount of subfolders to synchronise.” How many folders - estimated size or number of contents?

Q2 - “ I installed Mozilla Thunderbird and regurlary get the error message: login to server imap.virginmedia.com with username ..... (all four of my accounts) failed". Does this mean you are using T-Bird as well as Outlook or instead of Outlook? Have you imported all your emails/folder content into T-Bird?

Q3 – Is email the only time you have a connection issue? Do connections to other internet sites function without interruption?

Q4 – Have you checked the stability and speed of your connection using, say, Speedtest.net – or Thinkbroadband.com?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I don't think this is an Outlook issue I'm also seeing intermittent problems with Thunderbird and EMClient on IMAP for some time now.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

yes, thats what i thought. tried thunderbird and still getting issues.
0 Kudos
dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes im still getting disconnection / unable to login problems.
I originally used soley outlook. but to confirm it wasnt a problem with just outlook i installed thunderbird. Im currently running both (mainly outlook as i have archive folders in there) for testing reasons.
outlook gives a send/receive and disconnected error. thunderbird gives "login to server imap.virginmedia.com with username ..... (all four of my accounts) failed".
so something is not connecting properly/dropping out.
this has been a problem since last march, but as i said its intermittent but is now getting to the highly frustrating stage.
i keep certain emails for a year so my folder numbers range from 20 to 200. im at about 40 now and its still a problem. my whole imap folder is 242mb.
it is soley email this is a problem. web connection is fine.
i have checked my internet speed on speedtest which is 100mb. I dont know how I would test stability?
i pinged imap@virginmedia.com -t that seems ok.
its baffling.

0 Kudos
dazseaton
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

New Picture (1).jpgNew Picture (2).jpgNew Picture (3).jpgNew Picture (4).jpgNew Picture.jpg

New Picture.jpg

0 Kudos