Menu
tbanks2753
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Intercepted email used for SPAM

Several of my contacts have received emails that appear to have come from me, but with an address that is obviously spam eg tbanks2709 <john.doe@mail.com>

What is more of a concern is that the spam content appears to have been added to an original genuine email from me, as though the email has been " Replied" to with the original content underneath.

That says to me that the original email was in someway intercepted. Given that I use secure links to the VM servers, that require a password for send and receive, how could this happen? 

I have no reason to think my password has been hacked, and have changed it just in case. I run two different malware and virus scanners, both are showing no threats.

I would welcome some thoughts on how this situation has come about, and what else can be fine to stop it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intercepted email used for SPAM

Intercepted… another possible explanation is that one (or more) recipient(s) maybe the source of the compromise?

0 Kudos
tbanks2753
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intercepted email used for SPAM

I had considered that possibility, right now I can't see a pattern to support that idea,
0 Kudos