Menu
aidanh
Joining in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

IMAP settings not working

although I can access my emails via webmail, I prefer to access them all via outlook - I have multiple accounts (personal, club, business etc) so it's easier to see them all in one place.  Although I haven't changed IMAP settings and am using the recommended ones, I'm getting errors when trying to connect.  I'm a @virgin.net account user, I've set IMAP to port 993 incoming with SSL/TLS as the encryption, and 465 SSL/TLS for outgoing.  I've got imap.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com for outgoing/incoming.  All seem to be as per instructions, but are NOT working (since Friday night this time round, but seems to keep happening every month or so) - HELP!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMAP settings not working

Did you manage to get your virgin.net email linked to your current account in 2017 when you previously had issues with the account? https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/My-email-not-working/m-p/3414308

What error messages do you get when trying to access the account in Outlook?

aidanh
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

We have slight issues in the family, in that my wife (before she was my wife!) was on NTLWorld, and I'm was on Virgin - and we have managed to get the accounts sort of linked - however, if I sign into a web browser I can see my emails, and if she signs in she can see hers - so in theory that hasn't changed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You didn't say what error messages you are getting in Outlook.

When you sign into My Virgin Media with your primary username and password and click on My Profile and/or Manage accounts do you see all your Virgin and Ntlworld email addresses?  If not then you may have a problem relating to orphaned accounts.

aidanh
Joining in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'm sure it does relate to orphaned accounts - am I best to phone customer services to try to resolve it? At the end of the day we both have primary emails with the "virgin group" as it were - and we'd both like to keep them!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Probably best to wait for the forum team on here to respond.  The telephone route is likely to be tortuous.  

But just to set expectation levels you are very unlikely to be able to achieve your aim of keeping two 'primary' emails on one VM broadband account.  There systems are not geared up for that scenario.

aidanh
Joining in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

as long as both email accounts work, I don't mind too much how it is sorted - fingers crossed!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@aidanh wrote:

We have slight issues in the family, in that my wife (before she was my wife!) was on NTLWorld, and I'm was on Virgin - and we have managed to get the accounts sort of linked - however, if I sign into a web browser I can see my emails, and if she signs in she can see hers - so in theory that hasn't changed.

That bit in red bothers me.  There's no way to "sort of link" two separate email profiles into one broadband account even if you were both originally on the same domain it's impossible to do so.  You need to clarify exactly what you mean here.

Like Graham I think one of the other is going to be disappointed if you expect to keep both the virgin.net and the ntlworld.com email addresses.

You need to understand how Virgin Media's accounts work.

1. You have a broadband account to which is linked a single primary email address.
  2. The account holder has the ability to create up to 9 additional email addresses,
    (Note with Blueyonder you originally had the ability to create a number 3 mailboxes each with up to 5 aliases, I think NTLworld had something similar, but this was changed to be in line with the virginmedia.com system.  However the concept was similar).
  3. The primary and additional mailboxes all formed an email profile that was linked to the account holders broadband account.
  4. The only way to legitimately keep old addresses working is by a move and transfer process, which moves a whole email profile from one broadband account to another.
  5. Move and transfer delete's the email profile on the target account, you can't have two separate email profiles "linked". to a single broadband account

So if your ultimate aim is that both the virgin.net and ntlworld.com addresses be kept indefinitely - I'm afraid one of you is going to end up disappointed.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
aidanh
Joining in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

It's been fine up to now - though I accept that past is no guide to the future, we have had the email accounts for well over 20 years!  I can access my account via webmail - if I have to just do that I guess I can live with it.

0 Kudos
aidanh
Joining in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I should probably add - my wifes email is linked to my active virgin account, which uses [MOD EDIT: Personal info removed]@aidanheritage.co.uk as the user ID.  My email is under an old (it seems) virgin account using [MOD EDIT: Personal info removed]@virgin.net  - it is that which is presumably now (again) an orphan

0 Kudos