cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP email not sending

Cashy62
Tuning in

My IMAP virgins.net account repeatedly refuses to send mail from my phone 12 , with message that password is incorrect. Password is not incorrect. Any help gratefully recieved

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Serena

i think I have solved it. I could log into virgin media so I changed the password. I deleted the account in outlook and reinstalled with new password and I appear to be up snd running again. 

many thanks to both respondents. 

cheers

neil

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cashy62 wrote:

Any help gratefully recieved

I would suggest that you try signing into the email account via the vM Website to see if the account is accessible from there. Here is a link to that sign in page. https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ 

It may be the issue is with the email account itself rather than an IMAP password issue. (The error messages reported by email apps on your phone are not very helpful when it comes to actually diagnosing what's going wrong.) Post back and let us know how you get on and include any error messages the VM website throws up when you try to sign in to the email account.

By the way, you only mention that you have problems sending emails, does that mean you can still receive emails on your iPhone?

If it is just a problem sending emails, what happens if you switch from using wifi to using your mobile data network? Are you able to send emails over mobile data?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Coenoby

I am able to view and send my mail on my laptop using outlook and online. I use Mail on my iPhone 12. It will receive mail but posts an error message when I attempt to send mail. It says the password is incorrect. When I check my settings, passwords are correct, so not sure where I am going wrong. I have checked the port ids are updated and they are correct so scratching my head

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cashy62 wrote:

I am able to view and send my mail on my laptop using outlook and online

my iPhone 12. It will receive mail but posts an error message when I attempt to send mail

Thanks for coming back.

One thing you could try which often cures strange errors like these ti to delete the email address from the Mail app. Then once it has been deleted add it back in again.

I know it's a bit like the "turn it off and then on again" advice for laptops etc but it does often resolve problems. It would seem to be something odd within that app.

You seem to know your way around the iPhone and the Mail app, but VM do provide this step by step guide for setting up an account in the Mail app. if you need it:     https://devicesupport.virginmedia.com/customer/device/Apple/iPhone12/scenario/set-up-email  

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Cashy62

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the issues you are having with IMAP emails not sending from your iPhone. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue.

How did you get on with @coenoby 's advice of deleting the email address from the mail App?

Have you also tried deleting and reinstalling the App on your phone?

Please do let me know,

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi Serena

i think I have solved it. I could log into virgin media so I changed the password. I deleted the account in outlook and reinstalled with new password and I appear to be up snd running again. 

many thanks to both respondents. 

cheers

neil

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Cashy62

Thank you very much for geting back to us to tell us how you got your email issue resolved - this is really helpful should similar issues arise for other customers in the future.

I'm really glad to hear the problem has been solved!

Best wishes,

Serena

My wife had a similar issue with her Samsung mobile phone which began to misbehave after a software update. It kept asking for our e-mail password and, after a week or two, stopped sending e-mails altogether.

We discovered that her Outlook did not like IMAP.virginmedia.com but was happy with IMAP.ntlworld.com. The password was not the issue. We have an ntlworld.com address but her phone had previously worked fine with IMAP.virginmedia.com. It seems fine again now!