cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to access my old virgin.net email account

jomabel
Joining in

I have an old virgin.net email account which I need to access.  It is still attached to my FaceBook account and seems to still exist (emails sent to it don't "bounce back").  But, although I know the email address and the password I cannot gain access to the account?

At the time I was no longer a Virgin Media customer (because I had moved abroad) but I am a VM customer now but with my gmail address.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MissPasko
Super solver

You have come to the right place.  The VM Forum staff may be able to assist.

First, please check the address in mailtester.com.  Does it show as valid or invalid?  If invalid,I'm afraid nothing can be done.

If VALID - the VM staff can raise a ticket to perform a Move & Transfer. The Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

If the IT team can perform (I can't promise, as I don't know what they check or do).  This would allow you to keep the old address and any other old addresses that were previously associated with your old account.  But you would lose any new addresses you have created with your new billing account.

So consider what you want and post back here.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

MissPasko
Super solver

You have come to the right place.  The VM Forum staff may be able to assist.

First, please check the address in mailtester.com.  Does it show as valid or invalid?  If invalid,I'm afraid nothing can be done.

If VALID - the VM staff can raise a ticket to perform a Move & Transfer. The Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few hours (or days?) and then take your personal details by private message.

If the IT team can perform (I can't promise, as I don't know what they check or do).  This would allow you to keep the old address and any other old addresses that were previously associated with your old account.  But you would lose any new addresses you have created with your new billing account.

So consider what you want and post back here.

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jomabel

As per @MissPasko advice, we can look into restoring the email address by raising an I.T. ticket.  Would you like us to look into this?  If so we're going to need to private message you to enable us to investigate this further on your behalf.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi

I have completed a mail tester and my old account is showing as valid. 

I need to retrieve some old emails if possible. 

Please could you advise?

Sarah

Hello sarahgunn33

Thanks for your post 

Do you still have an active service with us 

I'm just asking as it may not be possible to retrieve any emails if you have left us 

I'm happy to have a look though for you

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth

I'm afraid I don't have an active service with you!

Thanks

Sarah

Hello sarahgunn33

Thanks for the reply

Sadly we would not be able to re activate this email account 

Not the response I wanted to send but Its best to be upfront

Gareth_L

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sarahgunn33 wrote:

I have completed a mail tester and my old account is showing as valid. 

I need to retrieve some old emails if possible. 

If you know the password for your old VM email account there is one last throw of the dice that you could try.

Add the VM email account to the email app on your phone or download and install the free email client Thunderbird https://www.thunderbird.net on your laptop.

As your account is still showing as live on Mailtester it is just possible your emails can still be accessed via an email app or client.

Email apps and clients access an email account via the relevant IMAP and SMTP servers which often seem to retain access even though it is no longer possible to log in to the account directly via the VM website

It is a long shot but worth trying. 😟

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tonynault
Joining in

Hi, similar to the other replies I'm trying to access an old email account. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@tonynault wrote:

Can anyone advise?

Edited to add.

You will see that Molly_G of the forum team almost beat me to it. So let her know the answers. 😏

You will see though that she has asked exactly the same two Well,  😉  rather than resurrect a year old thread which already has the green tick against it which shows it has been solved you would have done better to have started your own and given the details specific to your case.

You need to confirm:

1) That you know the account still exists.

If you're not sure, send a test email to it and see if you get a bounce back message saying that the username does not exist. If the account has been deleted you should get that message back within 5 minutes or so.

If the account no longer exists, then you reached the end of the road.  Once it's gone, it's gone.

However, if it does exist then:

2) Are you still a Virgin Media Broadband customer?

If your are not then the only course open to you is to try to reset the password yourself. Use this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password  then enter your old VM email address as the username and follow the prompts.

However, if you are still a VM customer then the Forum Team (VM employees) can take this up for you. They will reach this thread in a day or two.

In the meantime if you are still a VM customer you could try resetting the password yourself from the above link.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks