cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep being’forced’ to change my email address passwords.

Wendolene
On our wavelength

Good morning all, I have a very frustrating problem that has started relatively recently but is getting more and more frequent.

Background:

I don’t use Webmail, my preference being Thunderbird on my PC. I have also set up mail forwarding on all my Virgin email accounts to my iCloud (Apple) account. I did this so any emails will be automatically Pushed to my iCloud account and I know I have a email without having to check. This has worked well for me for years.

However, recently, when checking for mail on my PC (Thunderbird) I get a message that there is an authentication failure, this means my email accounts are locked and I have to log into my VM account and, via the Manage my Profile page, change all my email passwords. This is very frustrating as I have several email address’.

After I have changed my passwords I receive this message on my primary account:-

”You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

a. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
b. Reset your password to something new, unique to this account and secure.

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Please ensure that the above points have been completed to prevent your mailbox from being locked again.”

I have done this, many many times. No virus or malware has been found.

But after a couple of days or so, it get locked out again and have to go through all the password change scenario again.

I read on theses pages that it could be caused by my message forwarding. So I have now removed ALL message forwarding and filters from ALL my email address’ but I have again been locked out and had to go an change all my passwords again.
I have checked all the address settings and they are all standard, no filter rules or message forwarding enabled on any, but the issues remains.

I am at my wits end with it.

Please help!
4 REPLIES 4

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Wendolene

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your email address. 

We have been made aware of issues similar to this, I would recommend running a virous software on your devices to make sure that there are no bugs coursing this to happen. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Wendolene
On our wavelength

Thank you for the reply.

As I said in my original message, I have already scanned my PC multiple times without finding any viruses or malware.

Sorry, my bad, I didn't say in my original message that I have virus scanned. Senior moment there. 

Hi Wendolene, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this to confirm you've done virus scans. 

As well as scanning your PC, it's worth scanning any device you open your emails with just to be on the safe side. 

Also make sure when changing the password that you're not using something that you've used before as this can cause the email to re-lock. 

We're not able to do anything in your case other than advise you to update the password unfortunately. 

Hopefully with the latest password change, things will remain fine for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs