Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to unblock emails from Amazon

@Alan12H wrote:

A third party blocked my email address so that I do not receive emails from Amazon. This only relates to Amazon. Amazon tell me that it can only be fixed by Virgin Media. The Virgin Media website is unhelpful with this specific query. Can anyone assist please? Alan.

I'm confused by the statement in red.  Can you please clarify EXACTLY what you mean.

A third party shouldn't be able to block mail sent to your email address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

According to Amazon, when my Amazon account was accessed, the perpetrator also gained access to my email and blocked emails from Amazon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

In that case go do the following.

1. Go to mail.virginmedia.com
  2. Log in to the affected email address.
  3. In the top right of the screen, select the Menu Icon (3 horizontal lines)
  4. Tap settings
  5. This will open the Settings menu.  Expand the Email item and then Click Filter rules
    webfilterrule.PNG
  6. Also check the blacklist section
    Webblacklist.PNG
  7. These are the only places where someone with access to your account can deliberately block or redirect mail.  But the other thing they might have done is changed the spam settings  So check that they are set to deliver spam to the spam folder.  Rather than to reject spam.
    webspam.PNG

HTH

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That's very helpful, thank you.
Alan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I just found three filters related to Amazon which I have now deleted. I’ve changed my email password and also my memorable answer, but is there anything else I should do?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@DMouse 

If you haven’t already done so, change your Amazon credentials – NOW.

Make sure that you do not use your new email password for anything else – for these reasons -

In recent years, how many sites have you registered with in order to buy something, get access to information, use a service, etc etc. How many of these required you to input an ID and a password? In how many cases did you quote your email address as the ID (note that many sites DEMAND your email address either as your site ID or as a contact channel – it’s called a marketing opportunity). And in how many cases did you “just for convenience”, use your email password as well during the registration? And what percentage of these sites do you think is expert at protecting their site data (and your email credentials) against hackers? So, if any single one of these sites has their data hacked, the hackers have your email ID and password at a given point in time. If you haven’t changed your password since the year dot – they have your CURRENT ADDRESS AND PASSWORD. At this point they may well have tried logging into your emails scanning them for access details to Bank, Ebay, Amazon etc accounts. If they don’t find anything immediately useful, they send you an email instead - quoting the password you have used at some time in the past and hoping that you’ll pay up to their ransom demand without further ado.

For an insight into the scale of the site hacking problem, see this site - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Number one rule is –DO NOT EVER use your email password for anything other than access to your email.

Number 2 is – ensure the password is not easily guessed (see - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-create-a-strong-password )

Number 3 is – change it at regular intervals.

Some further advice here -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info. I’ve already spoken to Amazon so we are dealing with it on that front. Someone had ordered an item but it was delivered to me, so I will just return it and will be refunded. I don’t tend to use the same passwords for things, and I change them regularly. I just think I was unlucky on this occasion.  

0 Kudos