cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to save VM emails to hard drive

GT5
Joining in

Hi,

Could you please advise how i can save VM emails onto a hard drive?

Is it possible to save as PST files so openable in outlook?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The following link explains how to backup emails in outlook https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-outloo...

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GT5 wrote:

Could you please advise how i can save VM emails onto a hard drive?

If by that you mean downloading the emails from VM Webmail and saving them on a hard drive then the answer to that question is "yes.......but".

The 'but' is that you can only save them as .eml files.

As you are probably aware, the difference between PST and EML files is that EML is the file format used to store individual email messages whereas a PST file is a data storage file used by Outlook to store all the email data including the messages themselves.

Individual EML files can be opened and viewed by Outlook but AFAIK you cannot add individual EML files into Outlook without converting them all into a PST data storage file first. I have never done that but an online search for "convert eml files into a pst file". Comes up with a number of options.

Here is how to download your emails from VM Webmail to a series of EML files.

You can select individual messages you wish to download or, if you want to download the contents of a complete Webmail folder just click on "Select all"

Then click on icon1 and then 2 as they come up:

save file.png

You will then get the option to save these as a zip file and that will then be downloaded and available to store where you wish

When you open the zip file you will then be able to click on individual  EML files which will open up within an Outlook window if you have Outlook installed   on your device. Other email clients such as Thunderbird will also be able to open them.

That might be enough for you but I suspect not and you will then need to convert them to a PST file if you need them to be fully incorporated into Outlook.

Coenoby.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GT5,

Thank you for your post, and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I can see that some members of the community have responded to assist you with your query relating to saving emails.

If you need further help on this, please do let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks Coenoby,

I shall try what you have suggested but as you state I will require conversion to PST for full Outlook access.

Thanks once again.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Actually this is far easier than you might think.  If you've got Outlook already then what you can do is set up the account in Outlook as an IMAP account and then once it's finished downloading all the mail, you can export the mailbox to a pst file in order to back it up.

Click File then Open and Export and follow the prompts.  Select include Subfolders and everything in the .ost file will be exported.  You can choose csv or pst formats.

With regards to any Contacts in Webmail, webmail does have a feature enabling you to export them in order to import them into the program of your choice.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more