Menu
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How to report spam emails from sysprem

Hi,

We're aware that you may be seeing an increase in spam emails to your Virgin Media inbox at the moment. We apologise for any inconvenience caused, our team are currently working behind the scenes to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we ask that you report the spam emails to Spam Cop and AWS. Here's how to do that:

Spam Cop

https://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

You'll need to sign up first, once you've done so, follow these steps:

1. Click the mailhosts tab.
  2. Click Add new host.
  3. Enter your email address and a friendly name for the email service.
  4. Click Proceed to next step.
  5. Tick both boxes to specify both inbound mail hosys.
  6. You'll get 2 emails follow the instructions in EACH email to register Virgin Media's inbound mail hosts.

AWS

Email abuse@amazonaws.com to report the issue, ensure the source of the email is included within the email text, not sent as an attachement.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to report spam emails

I want to add one small but important point to this. The source of the current spam attack seems to be Amazon Web Services servers. Don't ask how - we don't know. It would significantly aid the behind the scenes work that VM Security are doing if you made individual reports to AWS.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to report spam emails

I probably should have clarified this when @Kev_B  PM'd me

If in doubt I would just report these via Spamcop as they will normally notify both the abuse contacts for the mail server as well as those related to any web services identified in the links.

However - If you are sure that the mails have come from an Amazon server - you may also notify them separately.  Amazon block attachments though so it's necessary to copy the source into the text of the email you are sending.  I've asked that the abuse contact be whitelisted, but that might not happen immediately.

There are other spam campaigns going on that don't involve Amazon.  If in doubt let Spamcop handle the reporting.

Tim 

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

AndyPandy3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to report spam emails from sysprem

Tried all this,
Tried filtering.
Tried blacklist.

14 or more from contact_@sysprem.com today, beyond a joke, just block them, or I will have to leave!
AndyPandy3
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Another 3! That’s 17 today so far! All from the same place, but no one can stop it?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The main thread on this issue:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Email-sysprem-com/td-p/3924528

contains reliable advice on how to set up filters to keep this stuff out of your in-box. VM's filtering system in web mail only works on mail arriving in your inbox. If this dross is going straight to your spam folder then the main VM e-mail filters are working properly. All you have to do is wait for the 30 days for mail to auto-delete from your spam folder.

You don't have to leave VM (idle threat) to enjoy spam free e-mail. The free (ad supported) non-ISP linked e-mail providers are generally regarded as having better spam filtering. You could always move to one of them in the time it takes to set up an account and move your contacts across.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
AndyPandy3
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Seems now to have been replaced by Customer-announce-request@lists.ubuntu.com,
From sysprem.

Exactly the same e mails, not the 12 a day but had 7 today,
Again
Flagged.
Blacklisted
Create filters.
None work.

Some emails are disgusting, sexual explicitness, dating, and potentially phishing or scams.

please tell me this can be resolved far quicker than the last one.

Clearly the same organisation behind it, same mailing list, same content, same times of spamming, just a different sender.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

See message 5 here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/sysprem-problems/td-p/3939507

it has been noticed!

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
AdrianBell
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've been getting these sysprem, and now ubuntu spams for a while now.  I have them successfully filtered out through filters.  However some are also coming from other random addresses.  All of the emails are similar in that they contain 2 (blocked by me) images in the body.  Something common to *EVERY ONE* of these is that Spamcop reports the server "as9143" as being involved in them.  What is this as9143 and why cannot these be blocked by Virgin?  Or am I misunderstanding Spamcop.  Is "as9143" something to do with Virgin servers?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It is the name of the Virgin Media mail servers that the spam passes through. Not exactly a good idea to try and block them! They are wholly innocent victims here. VM are working on ways to block this stuff as it arrives at their servers but it is technically very difficult.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos