cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change password for a virgin.net account

mpmax
Joining in

I have just had an email from a hacker saying that they have accessed my virgin.net account, they have confirmed my password.  I know the first thing to do is change the password but it seems I am unable to as it is an old account that may get deleted any time now.  I am setting up a new account but in the meantime I am exposed to this hacker with no way of changing my password, can anyone from Virgin help??

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mpmax

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the email issue. 

Have you followed this link here

Let me know either way. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John_GS

Thanks for coming back to me.  I have seen these instructions but as I am not a Virginmedia customer any longer they don't work.  The account is old and has minimal account settings and not a "My Profile" section.  Whilst logging on I used the "forgotten password" function, which took me to a page asking for date of birth and answer to a security question but when I clicked on "continue" nothing happened.  I tried this a few times.  

I then went on to the Virginmedia chat area and got some support from a guy called Solomon, who although was very helpful, was unable to sort the issue either, when he tried to reset the password at his end it kept coming up as an error.  He sent me a link to try at my end but it was the same as I had already tried and nothing happened.  He raised a ticket with the IT dept who will look at it within the next 24-48hrs (this was from yesterday), so I'm just waiting now.

What a mad, mad situation to be in.  It's inconceivable that there is no provision to change a password, I'm reasonably techy minded, my partner has checked it too, definitely nothing obvious......mad.  So the hacker has said I had 3 days (from yesterday) to pay the "ransom".  I'm not concerned about the threats, I think they are baseless but I am concerned that he/she can still get back in to my emails and I can't do anything about it.

Hopefully I will get a reply soon 🤞

Thanks again

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are no longer a Virgin customer, your email addresses will be/have been closed.   You have to be a Virgin customer to keep them.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Deleted

Tbh, I've had this account so long...20 years? can't remember how I even got it.  Still no excuse for not being able to change password.

@jpeg1 wrote:

If you are no longer a Virgin customer, your email addresses will be/have been closed.   You have to be a Virgin customer to keep them.

If it's still active they should be able to change the password.

I was under the impression some things kept the emails active?

The email password and account password should be different really, not sure why they are tied together.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

mpmax
Joining in

So, I have been on chat with, what I think is the complaints team, for over 5 hours, I have been "on hold" waiting for a technical person for over 3 hours and I have chatted with 3 different customer service agents.  2 customer service agents were helpful but couldn't do anything to help so put me through to the technical team where I was immediately told by "Andi BOT" "Job done! Now that's sorted time for a cuppa", directed to sign in to My Virgin Media for any future issues and hoped that I had had a great experience with him today!! ie chat equivalent of cut off I guess.

So, I am still in the same predicament, does anyone know if there is anyway of escalating a complaint?  I just want to get my password changed now rather than have an unscrupulous hacker being able to access my account again and sending god knows what to god knows who, hopefully by that point I will have got everything off my account that is deemed to be personal data, which I guess would be covered by GDPR?  Surely Virgin media have a duty of care to ensure that my data and personal information is kept safe?  

Is there an escalation procedure??

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Since you said in #3 above that you are no longer a Virginmedia customer, you have no contract with them and no basis for a complaint.

As you mention GDPR, it requires them to delete all information they have about you when you are no longer a customer. It appears they have done just that..

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi mpmax,

As jpeg1 has confirmed, if you are no longer a customer you would not have access to your Virgin email, you do need an active broadband account in order to use this.

Sometimes if the email address is in constant use it can be missed, we do go through and do a clean up and as such, any email address no longer associated with an active account are deleted and removed.

I've sent you a private message so I can get a few more details from you to double check that the account has been removed (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm