cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my account in- disabled and why did it happen in the first place?

Elsie68
Joining in

Hi I have a number of accounts and my son uses one which was set to copy emails to my main account. It now shows as disabled - how can I get it reinstated again? He has been hacked in various social media accounts so do t know if that is the problem. Funnily enough I still get copies sent to my other account so it seems to be useable by others to send emails to but just disabled. Any ideas who I contact about this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Elsie68 wrote:

when I put in my sons email address that it comes up username not recognised.

That's very strange because in post 3 @Akua_A reported they had found the account on the system so I think this needs to be checked out by the @Forum_Team .

Hopefully now that I have linked to them in this post one of them will soon get back to you on that. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Elsie68 wrote:   Any ideas who I contact about this?

Virgin Media may well have locked the account because they have detected hacking activity. Sometimes just resetting the password re-enables the account.

You can either do that from the 'My Virgin Media" account which manages your son's email account,using this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn   or you can do it from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/forgot-details/password by entering his email address as the username and following the prompts. 

Once you have reset the password leave it at least 30 minutes before trying to access the email account.

If that fails, the best thing to do is to wait here for one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum). They will contact you via the forum and take the details by private message. It may be a day or so before they reach this  thread but provided that you are still a VM Broadband customer they will be able to get this sorted for you.

In view of the hacking activity, once you regain access to the account you should follow all the advice here to secure the account against a further hack.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi @Elsie68,

Welcome to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are unable to access on of your emails. We can understand your concern and we want to best help.

I have been able to access your account using forums details. I can see as mentioned by @coenoby, our teams have temporarily locked the account due to suspicious activity. I would advise running and anti virus scan on your device. Also changing your password as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-username-and-password.

We can then look to unlock the account for you.

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Unfortunately I cannot change the password as it says it’s unable to find the username! Going round in circles I’m afraid. 

Thank you this was very helpful indeed. Trouble is it does not recognise the username anymore so I can’t change the password. Hopefully Virgin can do something about it. Appreciate your help.

Quick question and it might seem a bit obvious but do you currently have a live Virgin Media broadband account?

Secondly, when you say it doesn't recognise the username, is that when you try to log into the my.virginmedia website using the main (presumably your) login details (username and password) or when you try to reset your son's email address? 

Yes I do have a live account and it is when I put in my sons email address that it comes up username not recognised. Therefore I cannot change the password and he cannot access his emails . 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Elsie68 wrote:

when I put in my sons email address that it comes up username not recognised.

That's very strange because in post 3 @Akua_A reported they had found the account on the system so I think this needs to be checked out by the @Forum_Team .

Hopefully now that I have linked to them in this post one of them will soon get back to you on that. 😉

Coenoby

Thank you for tagging them - I can see now how you tag with the @ sign. Perhaps that’s why I didn’t get a reply. Again - you’re very helpful.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Elsie68 wrote:

Thank you for tagging them - I can see now how you tag with the @ sign. Perhaps that’s why I didn’t get a reply. Again - you’re very helpful.

For information, the @mention tagging function is only usable by VM staff and VIP community members.

Posts are responded to by the Forum Team on a strict queueing basis and therefore it may be a day or two before they reply.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs