cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I close old NTLworld email address?

AmandaPanda
Joining in

I have an old ntlworld email address which hasn’t been used for well over 15 years but still get the emails forwarded onto my current email address when it changed over to Virgin Media.  Recently I have been getting lot of spam emails and have been sent one this week to say I have signed up with a new energy company which I know is scam.  I need to get the ntlworld email address removed from the system before I get more scams sent to me so can anyone help to get this removed?

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AmandaPanda 

If the email address concerned is tied to a now closed VM broadband account the VM Forum Team should be able to get it fully deleted.  They will contact you via this forum to clear the necessary security hurdles.

However, if the email address is still the primary account on your current VM broadband account it won't be possible to delete it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AmandaPanda  indeed they will.

Whilst waiting can you log in to your My Virgin Media account with your primary username and see if the Ntlworld email address shows under either the My Profile tab or the Manage Accounts tab.

If the latter you can delete the address yourself from the change account options.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, this is going to be a potentially complex situation to resolve.  I suspect that at some point in the past your primary username has been changed from the Ntlworld email to a different one.

If this is the case changing the password for your current username should also change the password for the Ntlworld email address.

Best now to leave it to the VM Forum Team.  I have already escalated this thread to them.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AmandaPanda,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you've had some problems with an old email address.

In order to resolve this issue, I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

7 REPLIES 7

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AmandaPanda 

If the email address concerned is tied to a now closed VM broadband account the VM Forum Team should be able to get it fully deleted.  They will contact you via this forum to clear the necessary security hurdles.

However, if the email address is still the primary account on your current VM broadband account it won't be possible to delete it.

Thank you for your reply Graham. I haven’t closed my Virgin Media account so am hoping that I can change this as it is not my primary email address now. Hopefully the VM Forum Team might be able to advise further.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AmandaPanda  indeed they will.

Whilst waiting can you log in to your My Virgin Media account with your primary username and see if the Ntlworld email address shows under either the My Profile tab or the Manage Accounts tab.

If the latter you can delete the address yourself from the change account options.

Thanks for your reply Graham. I logged onto my VM account earlier today and the ntlworld email address is showing in the my profile tab but it is greyed out so I can’t delete it. It doesn’t show on the manage accounts tab.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, this is going to be a potentially complex situation to resolve.  I suspect that at some point in the past your primary username has been changed from the Ntlworld email to a different one.

If this is the case changing the password for your current username should also change the password for the Ntlworld email address.

Best now to leave it to the VM Forum Team.  I have already escalated this thread to them.

Thanks for your reply Graham and many thanks for escalating the thread to the VM Forum Team for me.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AmandaPanda,

Thank you for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum. I'm sorry that you've had some problems with an old email address.

In order to resolve this issue, I'll just need to confirm some details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team